cease fungicide

Discussion in 'Organic Lawn Care' started by turf hokie, Feb 25, 2012.

1. turf hokie

turf hokie LawnSite Silver Member

2. phasthound

phasthound LawnSite Platinum Member

I haven't used the product, but I noticed the bacteria in it acts as a broad spectrum preventative bio-fungicide which means it will also kill beneficial fungi. I am just starting to learn a little about greenhouse production and am not qualified to comment on that type of application.

However, this product is also labeled for use as a soil drench in nurseries for
    woody ornamentals and forest seedlings. A better strategy might be to out compete the pathogens by promoting the growth of beneficials as the seedlings will be better perpared to fend for themselves once transplanted.

3. turf hokie

Thanks Barry,

I was hoping this would be the best bet against the downy mildew as it doesnt look like resistence will build. You should see the product rotation that is recommended for downy mildew in greenhouse production.

Are there recommendations for a better way to control the downy mildew without going on a rotation of mancozeb, mefenoxam (subdue) azoxystrobin (heritage) etc...

We are recommending to our end users to change to some other flower besides common impatiens, but the nursery still needs to have them available.

4. phasthound

You'll notice on the label that rotation with other fungicides is still recommended.

5. turf hokie

Yes it does.... I neglected to read the ipm paragraph of the label... I guess this product just lost its edge in my book. If i have to rotate synthetics in with it I might as well just use the synthetics....

6. phasthound

There are other options, you've got my #.

7. turf hokie

since it looks like just me and you going back and forth I had planned on calling you tomorrow, figured I wouldnt bother you on a sunday.