Cec

Discussion in 'Organic Lawn Care' started by DeepGreenLawn, May 11, 2009.

1. DeepGreenLawn

DeepGreenLawn LawnSite Silver Member

Cation Exchange Capacity, where the nutrients are basically captured and held correct? (a very basic description of course)

What are ways that you can improve the CEC. I know "Compost does a soil good" but what about the compost allows for the more positively charged ions and is there an additive, product, mineral, that will allow more CEC. In making my own compost is there something you can add to improve the CEC or does it just happen on its own?

2. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

SOM has a pH dependent charge.
    Charge is generated via ionization.
    See Henderson–Hasselbalch equation

3. TMGL&L

TMGL&L LawnSite Member

Add compost. Om adds to the colliodal properties in the soil it also is negatively charged....or something like that. I learned it awhile ago. It went in one ear scientifically and got in my brain as "add compost." Maybe the further broken down the om the better...? Could maybe smaller particles improve this as well..? idk. Thats all I got right now.

Last edited: May 11, 2009
  4. ICT Bill

ICT Bill LawnSite Platinum Member

You need to get into your head the definition of "Cation" after that you'll say what Kiril says, you know !!!

By using certain additives in your compost while composting you can select for a type of compost that would work much better in your area or for a certain application. wood compost for instance to get a more fungal mix or less cellulose type addititives for a more bacterial mix, lime in high PH areas, etc

5. growingdeeprootsorganicly

growingdeeprootsorganicly LawnSite Senior Member

deep, just like learning about ferts ete it's a good idea to brush up on ur chemistry. :rolleyes:

OM for obvious reasons? and clay are ur best friends concerning CEC
    things that have lots of pores/spaces/exchange sites will help attract/retain. char would be some thing you could add to help. but the char can absorb too much depending,best to cure it first with some minerals, like peeing on it would work.:laugh:

6. dishboy

dishboy LawnSite Platinum Member
    from zone 6

Would not lime raise the already high PH higher? I would think sulfur would be more useful .

7. ICT Bill

ICT Bill LawnSite Platinum Member

Meant to say acidic areas, apologies

In the mid atlantic where I am, folks use lime
    all hardwood trees

but then we get to the "chase the ph question" I was really trying to point out that you can manipulate the compost and make it what you want