Cedar Lodge Farms photo/video thread

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by farmerknowsbest, Apr 6, 2009.

1. farmerknowsbest

farmerknowsbest LawnSite Senior Member

From the first shot of planting almost 2 weeks ago.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

How can you not like autopilot?
    [​IMG]

Latest addition of the fleet. Really nice truck to drive, it will pull our yetter seed tender.
    [​IMG]

1350gal of 6-24-6 will keep the big planter moving all day long
    [​IMG]

Wheel bearing gone on the 32ft cultivator. Took 5 hours to fix inbetween the persistent rain.
    [​IMG]

I needed a stress relief from working on the planter, so a nice trip to Winchester to get some culverts was in order
    [​IMG]

Ready for a fun driveway widening project
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This photo is sweet
    [​IMG]

New hydraulic system. This one actually works, the cih pos did not
    [​IMG]

2 pumps, front one is 25gpm to run the montag, and the rear is 5gpm to run a rawson drive for the liquid.
    [​IMG]

Same oil cooler, but a new 15 gallon reservoir
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Rawson drive replacing the Deere ground drive
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

After 12 days of very humid rainy weather, the fertilizer, spite a great deal of zorball mixed in with it and a heavy MAP content, started to sweat. Had to come out
    [​IMG]

The montag is a pretty well designed machine, but they really dropped the ball on cleanout doors. Both of them are directly over frame members, so we had to fashion a very fancy shute...patent pending!
    [​IMG]

Here is an action shot, really exciting isn't it!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Lots of shoveling and then hand sweeping to get it clean
    [​IMG]

A nice sticky pile ready to be spread on soybean fields
    [​IMG]

Speaking of bean ground, back at it
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Looks good
    [​IMG]

We got lucky and only got a few mm of rain last night. Were able to get 70 more ac of beans in before it started to thunderstorm at 11 this morning.
    [​IMG]

Got wet
    [​IMG]

Went about 5 minutes too long. HAHA, things are a bit messy now
    [​IMG]

2. farmerknowsbest

[​IMG]

18000lbs of fertilizer in about 10 minutes
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Too wet to plant corn, time to switch to beans
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I remember a fight with Big D about how a big planter is useless in a small field. 90ft wide strip planted with ease!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I love the passive steering. Tractor was never on line all spring. Record was over 5ft offline to keep the planter in place on a side hill
    [​IMG]

20 20 for the win!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Fixing
    [​IMG]

John Deere planting power for the win!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Back at corn. Still a lot of mud to go around
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last field of beans
    [​IMG]

Everything under a roof
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Warren

3. anthonyp

anthonyp LawnSite Member

Thanks Warren

How close together are the corn rows? and also what date did you get to start planting corn? vs finish....The big new equipment is certainly impressive, and with the big fields something to behold....

I use to plant with the John Deere `finger pick up mechanism` and also had a seed counter, but never really trusted it.....Tony

4. KrayzKajun

KrayzKajun LawnSite Fanatic

I really enjoy your thread and pics. Your pics bring back memories I have of my Uncles farm I visited as a kid in North Dakota
    Posted via Mobile Device

5. anthonyp

anthonyp LawnSite Member

You and me both :) I hope Warren will have a chance to be more prolific--I missed him--Tony

6. farmerknowsbest

Corn rows are 30 inches wide. Beans 15 inches and wheat 7.5 inches. This year we started planting corn on May 8th and finished June 9th. No fun to say the least. The year before we started April 20th and finished May 7th. So to say the least, we are a bit behind this year, hence why I haven't been posting as much or following this forum as much as I'd like.

Nothing wrong with a finger pickup. Our 8 row has precision finger meters in Deere bodies and an old skool Dickey John population meter that I also don't trust.

Warren

7. anthonyp

anthonyp LawnSite Member

Well your planting dates are a lot better than I feared....I didn`t know what happened, even thought you might have been hurt :( and if the corn went in the ground a couple of weeks ago, I was fearful for you....Might have gotten some silage

Down here in South Carolina, we have been having a drought in the earlier planting season, and on a drive today the dry land corn is mostly imo cooked...Some of the irrigation I am told is o k , but when `Mother Nature` withholds rain everything just isn`t up to par.....

Glad all is o k with you and I look forward to more of your shared activities, and good luck to you..Tony

8. WilliamBos

WilliamBos LawnSite Member

Thanks for the update Warren. Just think of how super productive on repairs you will be when/if you eventually build a shop. :)

9. Dirtman2007

Dirtman2007 LawnSite Platinum Member

you better put something over the exhaust pipe on the case or you'll find out how much a new turbo costs :)

10. talus

talus LawnSite Senior Member

I'm clueless to the world of farming on that scale and I'm sure it's not all roses all the time but it's gotta be fun to operate that kind of machinery. That New Holland is bad ass. I also enjoy the pics and often have to do a google search on what those attachments do lol.