Cedar Ridge's Water Features

Discussion in 'Water Features' started by Twitchy, Nov 27, 2009.

1. csl

csl LawnSite Member

RCA??? is that what you guys are calling your minus crush gravel?? what did you do for compaction? if i get a plate compactor anywhere close to a pool, then the pool guys flip there lid. i had one contractor actually collapse a pool because he left the water running next to the pool all weekend, forgetting to turn it off.

2. Twitchy

Twitchy LawnSite Senior Member

Recycled Concrete Aggregate is the base material we use out here. I tamp large sqft projects w/ a Wacker 3545 reversible tamper in 5'' lifts. Most of the new pools that are installed around here are cement wall pools and vinyl liners. 8''-10'' poured walls aren't going anywhere.

3. Twitchy

I love the bottom spill stone on the waterfall. It took almost a full day just to set the spill and 6 big stones on the bottom.

435 macarthur waterfall before 002 1.jpg

435 macarthur waterfall before 009 2.jpg

435 MacArthur blvd waterfall Aug 09' 001 3.jpg

435 MacArthur blvd waterfall Aug 09' 004 4.jpg

435 MacArthur blvd waterfall Aug 09' 005 5.jpg

4. Twitchy

Not the best pic though...

435 MacArthur blvd @ night Nov 09' 003.jpg

5. pitrack

pitrack LawnSite Bronze Member

6. 4 seasons lawn&land

4 seasons lawn&land LawnSite Gold Member
    from NY

nice stuff. Especially like the poolside work. Are you using any mortar to secure the rocks at the pool edge or are they tieing back somehow. They look like they could fall in any minute. I mean that in a positive way, Im sure they arent going to actually fall in.

what type of rock is that on the first page 7th picture?

Last edited: Dec 5, 2009
  7. Twitchy

Thanks pitrack

8. csl

csl LawnSite Member

yeah we cant used recycled concrete for any fill around here. the make it, but we cant get it to pass inspection or offer a warranty. and even on gunite pools my guys wont let us compact. we can hand tamp, but thats it. we usually end up beefing up the rebar to a large size and space at 12" intervals.

9. Twitchy

The lg boulders are mortared (type s) to the pool's cement wall(coping). The smaller stones around the waterfall are foamed so they don't leak water or move around. Moss rock is the stone that is used to build that waterfall.

10. Twitchy

When available i try to get DOT approved RCA, that stuff looks like snow. When compacted w/ the right amount of moisture, it basically turns into cement.