Cedar Split Rail Install

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by Grn Mtn, Nov 15, 2006.

1. Grn Mtn

Grn Mtn LawnSite Senior Member

I put my first split rail fence in the other day, it was a custom ordered 100% western cedar 3-rail. It was weird putting in a fence without a level- because everything is rough-cut and some a little bendy, its all eye-balled. Looks fantastic though. 10 hours in 40* rain, I think it was 340'. I used a dingo 425tx to auger the holes. Here are some picts:

You can see the smoothed out remains of a couple of the 9 mature trees that I took down the day before -gotta love my stihl chainsaw, too bad some a-hole ripped it off my trailer the night I got done with this project.

SplitRail_FrontDriveway.jpg

2. Grn Mtn

pict 2 of 6

SplitRail_leftside.jpg

3. Grn Mtn

pict 3 of 6

SplitRail_TopofDriveway.jpg

4. Grn Mtn

pict 4 of 6

SplitRail_rightside.jpg

5. Grn Mtn

pict 5 of 6

SplitRail_FrontBackDivide.jpg

6. Grn Mtn

pict 6 of 6

SplitRail_FrontRight.jpg

7. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

Very nice! I love the rustic look of split rail. Hard to find good quality split rail anymore, as wood gets more expensive it seems to just get smaller each year. Hate to guess at the price per section there... On the other hand, I really don't see a point to split rail. It really dosn't keep anything out or in. Most pets could just go right thru it, you can see thru it, and most people could step over it. Just seems like a load or money to show people where your property line is to me.

8. LindblomRJ

LindblomRJ LawnSite Silver Member

Looks real nice. Looks like it fits the landscape quite well

9. Grn Mtn

:laugh: This property is smack in the middle of horse country, so it fits in real nice, I had actually removed the 30 year old original cedar split rail first, about half of it was still in good shape, but since the new fence was going in slightly different locations, the old was just cut up for firewood.

This customer has a meadow along the front and right side of the house (part of the reason the split rail will look so good backing it up, and partly because of the meadow the neighbor has been mowing about 10' into the propery line)

10. Grn Mtn

Its 40* and raining, I've been at it for 7 hours already but the end is in site, the Dingo is kicking some major @ss and its exhaust is keeping my helper's hands warm:)

MeDingoAuger.jpg