1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Celcius for bahaia?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by grassmasterswilson, Jul 19, 2013.

1. grassmasterswilson

grassmasterswilson LawnSite Platinum Member
    from nc

Sprayed a Bermuda lawn for a landscaper this week with celcius. This was done over the phone and they wanted weeds sprayed.

He called today and his customer now wants any bahaia sprayed out. Will celcius do anything. To it? It's not on the label. Just wondering.

2. GreenThumb11

GreenThumb11 LawnSite Member

Yes it will a little bit. Manor/Mansion will completely control it in 2 applications.

3. TurfWerks

TurfWerks LawnSite Senior Member

manor is your best bet..

4. grassmasterswilson

grassmasterswilson LawnSite Platinum Member
    from nc

Thanks guys. Msm has always been my first choice for bahaia but I've god celcius mixed up right now. Wondered if there was any suppression.

We've had a to of rain and I've had a landscape get me to spray a few lawns since the bahaia has blossomed out!!!

5. greendoctor

greendoctor LawnSite Fanatic

Remember the discussion on how the AI in Celsius transforms into metsulfuron. I do not have a lot of bahia here, however many of the tropical grassy weeds are paspalum species or bahia relatives.

6. ArTurf

ArTurf LawnSite Gold Member
    Male, from Ark

Not to change the subject but how well does Celsius knock Bull Paspalum? I used it on some for the 1st time the other day for this and am waiting to see the effects.

7. Nate'sLawnCare

Nate'sLawnCare LawnSite Bronze Member

The Celcius label says not to apply to cool season grasses or bahia so can we assume it would have a negative effect on bahia? I've been wondering the same thing.

8. greendoctor

It will remove it. YMMV depending on how the desired turf is maintained. I have seen Celsius remove weedy grasses in bermuda when the lawn is on a high fertility regime and mowed low with a reel every 7 days.

9. ArTurf

ArTurf LawnSite Gold Member
    Male, from Ark

Good to know. Had to google what YMMV means. Is there anything better for paspalum in bermuda?

Last edited: Jul 24, 2013
  10. greendoctor

Not to date. I am crossing my fingers that this is true. www.oaptf.com/docs/pdf/00104584.PDF‎ If MSMA were such a dangerous carcinogen, every yard boy and golf course worker in Hawaii would be dead by now. Those guys used to spot spray that stuff 12 months out of the year.