1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

celcius guys - max rate?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by grassmasterswilson, Aug 2, 2011.

1. grassmasterswilson

grassmasterswilson LawnSite Platinum Member
    from nc

Love this stuff!! Yearly max rate is 7.4 oz/acre. If you do one app at the high rate then you are pretty much done. How many yearly apps are you doing with celcius and at what rates.

Maybe an early app at low rate and a late app at the high end? I've been thinking of my first spring/summer app being MSM and the celcius after that..

2. cgaengineer

cgaengineer LawnSite Fanatic

I have found that anything less than med rate is a waste of product unless your target weed is tomato plants.

3. grassmasterswilson

from nc

Yeah I've sprayed some at medium and some at high. The max yearly rate is 7.4 oz per acre. That equals 2 med applications (3.7 oz/acre each). The high rate is 4.9 oz.

So either you do 2 med apps or 1 low and 1 high. Anyone sprayed at a higher yearly rate?

4. WestGaPineStraw

WestGaPineStraw LawnSite Senior Member

Good one Chris

I know that Chris uses a good bit of it as do I. Yes, you are limited to one max blanket app. If you read the label it says two max rate apps for dallisgrass supression, only as spot treatment though. There are a few weeds on the label that celsius will not control such as curly, shiny cudweed and black medic.

Black medic and spurge have been the summer weeds of the year here. Dimension failed this year and the competition has the same problems.
    Posted via Mobile Device

5. grassmasterswilson

from nc

so I guess you guys are just doing 2 blanket apps of med rate? If so what other apps are you using during the late spring/summer?

6. WestGaPineStraw

WestGaPineStraw LawnSite Senior Member

Warm season post apps

Rnd 1 - 3way/ester
    Rnd 2 - 3way
    Rnd 3 - momentum
    Rnd 4 - celsius max
    Rnd 5 - solitare
    Rnd 6 - 3way
    Rnd 7 - simazine
    Posted via Mobile Device

7. superintendent

superintendent LawnSite Senior Member

I'm using it for the first time this week to kill crabgrass. I was going to use 3.4 oz for a 30,000 sq ft tank out of my z spray. Do yall that use it alot think that will be strong enough or go heavier.

8. greendoctor

greendoctor LawnSite Fanatic

I will second that. Two times at 3.7 oz per acre 21-30 days apart is how I target hard to kill weeds. Appropriate additive herbicides are also good. Celsius is not a do-all be all product. Just as MSMA never was. I never used MSMA by itself. After that, weeds are kept out by not starving the lawn, adequate water and proper mowing. Appropriate preemergents and alternative post emergents are also part of the program as well.

9. superintendent

superintendent LawnSite Senior Member

Going after crabgrass in bermuda tomorrow and would like to know what rate yall went with to knock it out the first time. I was also going to add diaqua with it.

10. jad004

jad004 LawnSite Senior Member

I have been spraying celcius at max rate through my skid sprayer at 2 gallons per 1000 sq ft. It is not killing the crab grass. It is only yellowing it and then it comes back. A friend of mine is spraying it through a cub cadet at medium rate with 3/4 gallons of water per 1000 sq ft. He is getting a pretty good hurt with the first app and then is killing with the second app 21 days later. I knew that was the right thing to do but dang it's hot. Now I'm stuck having to use a different chemical due to max yearly rate.