1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Celcius substitute

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by grassmasterswilson, Aug 14, 2013.

1. grassmasterswilson

grassmasterswilson LawnSite Platinum Member
    from nc

Went to get 2 bottles of celcius to finish up all my warm season. They were out and the dealer was backed up. Hopes to get some in this week.

Is there a good substitute safe on all warm turf? I'm currently mixing my celcius with prosedge and spot spraying in mid 80s-low 90s?

Will celcius at low rate do much on crabgrass? I'm getting good results at med rate

2. macgyver_GA

macgyver_GA LawnSite Senior Member

I didn't have much luck with celcius at medium rate w/ mso on crabgrass. It did stunt the growth pretty good and turn the tips purple at high rate though. The label doesn't list crabgrass under low or medium rate.

3. clemsonturf

clemsonturf LawnSite Member
    from SC

grassmaster- do you have a pesticide license?

Your state really needs to tighten up if so.

4. grassmasterswilson

from nc

Yep I'm licensed. They give them away in Cracker Jack boxes up here. They allow us to spray ronstar on residential lawns, roundup on cattails in retention ponds, and max rate of 24d on centipede in July.

As to my question it was a legit question. I get control of large crabgrass with celcius at med rate. I was just asking for a substitute product people have used on all warm season turf so that I could finish my last handful of lawns since they were out of celcius.

What's someone with so much knowledge doing trolling this site anyway?

5. WestGaPineStraw

WestGaPineStraw LawnSite Senior Member

Msm, Banvel and quicksilver. Great mix on warm season

6. greendoctor

greendoctor LawnSite Fanatic

MSM at 1/2-1 oz per acre will hurt crabgrass. Make sure you are not doing this high rate on centipede.

7. georgialawn88

georgialawn88 LawnSite Bronze Member

8. wildstarblazer

wildstarblazer LawnSite Senior Member

I used sulfentrazone. Product called sedge ender. It worked ok on crabgrass but I used it mostly for sedges.

9. IRRITECH

IRRITECH LawnSite Senior Member

On your test, was there a question that said " if I am out of celsius what can I use on warm season turf for crabgrass and nutsedge?"

Didn't think so.

without looking it up what is a common brand name for Halosulfuron, quinclorac, Sulfentrazone. (didn't look up the spelling but you get the idea)

That wasn't on the test either.

Ga Lic# 01631

In answer to your question Grassmaster, when we are out of Celsius we run Solitaire. Combination of Sulfentrazone and Quinclorac. Works well but it is a bit hot so be careful and run some iron with it

10. grassmasterswilson

from nc

Thanks. It will be close and rain is in the way so hoping they will get some in stock in time.

What about square one? Seems it might work for what I need. I got mostly Bermuda with a few centipede lawns left.