cell phone area code

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by magicmike, Feb 3, 2013.

1. magicmike

magicmike LawnSite Senior Member

I live in NYC (347 area code) but I plan on doing business is Nassau county (516 area code) long island which is a different area code should i change my area code to match the area code im doing business in?

2. tonygreek

tonygreek LawnSite Gold Member

If you want to maintain both, check out Google Voice. The cost of free is budget friendly.

3. PPP

PPP LawnSite Member

I made the mistake a few years ago dropping my land-line for a cell phone only. At the time you could'nt port the numbers over to a cell phone like you can today. I never realized how many people (older clients) relied on a local number. The cell phone area codes made me seem like an out of towner. I don't know how much it actually impacted my business, but I'm sure it did more harm then good. But now I have had my same cell phone number for 8 years and people seem to have come around with your number being that it is what it is. I did take the advice of some people on this forum and others and set up a Google Voice account and got an area code and phone number from an exclusive town. All I did was change my number to that in my newspaper ad and people stopped asking me where I was from and I have gotten more business from my target market area as a result. Google Voice is free and they have many informative videos on how it works. Its simple to use and you can almost set up a custom or easily memorable number with it. I only wish I had done it years sooner.

4. grandview (2006)

grandview (2006) LawnSite Gold Member

You could try an 800 number.There is a few other companies around here ,other then landscaping who will list a North and South area number on their trucks and ads with all the calls going to the same place.

5. jc1

jc1 LawnSite Bronze Member

We have a few different numbers for different towns all forward to our main line. It does remove the where are you from question.