1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

cell phone deduction

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by Doogiegh, Feb 21, 2004.

1. Doogiegh

Doogiegh LawnSite Senior Member

Any of you guys deduct your cell phone as a business expense? I've heard from 4 different people. 2 say they do all the time without problem (full cell phone bill, even though they ALL say they use it for personal use as well). Other guy says he deducts only a part of it, 4th guy says he doesn't deduct it at all cause it's personal use.

Now if you advertise with the cell phone # and all your customer contacts are made with the cell phone #, what's the deal?
  2. gene gls

gene gls LawnSite Gold Member

2 trucks-2Phones deduct total cost. CPA ok's it.

3. ksland

ksland LawnSite Senior Member

Absolutely, Positively

DUSTYCEDAR LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

write it off:blob4:
  5. cantoo

cantoo LawnSite Silver Member

Our accountant says to write it all off. We forward home phone to cell when on the road. We also have cells for the kids that are also wrote off. Our accountant says that because we use them for business related calls it is okay. The kids use theirs to know where we are and we call them to let them know when we will be home etc. We don't use the cell for long distance personal calls anyway so I guess the personal stuff wouldn't add up to much anyway.
  6. Doogiegh

Doogiegh LawnSite Senior Member

Glad to hear it. That had my concered that it would be deducted and prone to an audit review just because of the cell phone. I know the business can't be run without one, but then again, if it's say 30% personal, I could see where you can only deduct 70%, etc. Thanks for the input guys. Now I know I'm not the only one.
  7. PLI1

PLI1 LawnSite Senior Member

I write all the costs of my cell phone.
  8. Lux Lawn

Lux Lawn LawnSite Silver Member

9. newleaflandscape

newleaflandscape LawnSite Senior Member

The guys the only right off half are probobly itemizing. Thats like when you keep track of your personal gas and oil changes and keep track of miles put on trucks etc. I
  10. missytheaccountant

missytheaccountant LawnSite Member
    from Bama

You can deduct whatever you like, but you always are subject to the audit risk. Any personal usage other than business is not deductible on Schedule C. If you are audited and caught, personal usage would be disallowed. Your decision......chance the audit risk.....or not.