Cell phone for database and files?

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by Mike M, Jan 25, 2008.

1. Mike M

Mike M LawnSite Bronze Member
    from usa

Anyone using their cell phone on job sites and sales calls to access e-mail, files, etc.??

Imagine standing there with a customer, they ask a Q, and you take out your cell and say, "what's your email?"

This can immediatley:

Give them a detailed written answer
    Get them on your email address book
    Get you on theirs
    Send them a virtual business card, link to site.
    Send them helpful technical reference articles.
    Refer them to industry supported websites
    etc.

You can also have a template stored for bids. Go to your truck, pull out your cell, access the template, fill in the info, send it immediately to the prospective customer.

I just bought a 'chocolate' with email, bluetooth, all that stuff, never used that technology before, but has me thinking about biz possibilities!

These are ideas I am thinking of, not sure how they may or may not work in the field. I need others here interested in maximizing use of their cell. Let's keep a thread going on the topic, anyone?

Thanks,

Mike Murphy

2. grass-scapes

grass-scapes LawnSite Bronze Member

sure you can do that, but it is cumbersome. Get a laptop for your truck and you can keep all the records with you all the time. Put them on a thumb drive. Password protect your computer and keep backups in TWO places. you never know when something gets stolen.

3. Mike M

from usa

Very good point, especially when we have clumsy battered landscaper fingers!!! But still, they are making it easier to navigate e-mail and websites, plus, in the field, and out and about, a cell phone is more likely to be with me than a laptop. I can respond to key points in a casual conversation by pulling my cell out. As easy as biz cards.

4. bohiaa

bohiaa LawnSite Fanatic

We seem to be moving into a world of info EVERYWHERE.

I too have thought about this .... I have a laptop but dont take it with me....

I prefer the ole fassion way, hard copy.

maybe when I get VERY large 300 to 400 customers

5. racer56

racer56 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Kansas

Be careful with the laptop screens when the heat comes inside the trucks. I've killed several leaving the dang things in the truck.

6. Mike M

from usa

Communitaction, referals, service, accessibility, networking, having a virtual biz card with you at all times, might get you quicker to 300 to 400.

I got my new cell today. Please understand, I'm old fashioned, too. Just went 6 monthes without a cell in the household. Now I'm going to have to get up to speed with the last 6 monthes of cell tech! lol. I'm not sure what bluetooth is, but it's in a box in my kitchen.

7. racer56

racer56 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Kansas

I'm not sure what bluetooth is, but it's in a box in my kitchen

I love it :laugh:...