Cell Phone Number ONLY in Ads

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by Darryl G, Nov 15, 2002.

1. greenman

greenman LawnSite Addict

Yes, it is. Just like if you have your office in your home, you get to claim a percentage of your home and utilities, and internet.

2. Brickman

Brickman LawnSite Bronze Member

Tax tip direct from my accountant. Save your self a lot of grief and don't do that. The Infernal Ripoff Service has that red flagged for a much more likely chance of an audit. Also if you ever sell your house you have to pay a different tax on that percent.
    I decided the possible headache of an audit was some thing I could do with out by reducing the risk I took and do not claim any of this for taxes.

3. The Mowerdude

The Mowerdude LawnSite Senior Member

I've used my cell phone as my one and only business line for several years now.

I've never lost a customer to static or service dropping out in a given area. I don't think I've ever had any customers view me as a vagrant lawn care guy, but rather see me as being more attentive by being able to respond to calls even while out in the field.

There have been many, many times when a customer would call and I just happened to be a few blocks away and could swing by and take a look at a new property. That kind of response time is impressive to new customers. The same thing has happened when a customer with a problem. And I was close enough to run over and solve it.

Also, as a general rule of thumb, I've found that I need to run my business only during certain hours. If I don't, I never get any down time to myself. That's when I can just turn the cell phone off and everything rolls over to voice mail.

My phone is with Cricket. I pay $35 per month and it's unlimited local calling.

4. The Mowerdude

The Mowerdude LawnSite Senior Member

Apparently I've clicked on post response twice in quick succession.

One of these days I'll have this thing figured out. :blush:

5. Darryl G

Darryl G LawnSite Fanatic

Thanks again for the input. I've tried having the wife handle calls, but she's a much better wife than secretary.;)

It seems that so many people procrastinate calling for a clean-up and then want an immediate response. I'm hoping it will work out like MowerDude said in his post.

The cell phone is definitely a business expense, and I treat it as such.

6. PaulJ

PaulJ LawnSite Bronze Member

On my cards and other info I have the cell phone # in large print.
    I also list the hope # with the mailing address in small print at the bottom.

I also have voice mail on the cell phone and a machine at home.
    The cell phone lists my buisness name , but not the home phone.

7. KLR

KLR LawnSite Member
    from Zone 6

8. Lawn Sharks

Lawn Sharks LawnSite Senior Member

I have instructed my wife who also works from home on how to answer the phone, set up appts. etc. She is great at it and it lends an air of professionalism to the business. If there is a question she can't answer she will give them my cell number or call me herself.

One thing I can never understand is how do you hear the cell phone with a backpack blower? Vibrate mode? With the backpack or mower Iam already vibrating! :)

Keth

9. Darryl G

Darryl G LawnSite Fanatic

Yeah, I use the vibrate mode when operating equipment. Sometimes I won't feel it, or sometimes I'll think I have bees in my pants, but it works pretty well. I do have voice mail and check to see it there are messages pretty frequently.

10. greenman

greenman LawnSite Addict

I put mine on vibrate, it works well, except when I am running the bp, I can't feel it vibrate.