1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

cell phone sickness

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by yrdandgardenhandyman, Apr 2, 2005.

1. yrdandgardenhandyman

yrdandgardenhandyman LawnSite Senior Member
    from midwest

I talked to the guy a couple of days later when he came for his paycheck. He apologized for leaving us in a lurch but that he just decided that the job was more physical than he thought it would be. :dizzy:
    He is an old school chum of my daughters. He told me he worked in the business before but he didn't tell me that all he did was mow for another LCO. Kind of a lie don't you think? :realmad:
    No. It really had nothing to do with the cell phone. It had more to do with the combination of the employee padding his qualifications and my lack of diligence in checking his references. :blush:
  2. JimLewis

JimLewis LawnSite Fanatic

Duh! Ya think?

Why do you think most LCOs employee mostly hispanic employees. 10 out of the 13 guys I employee are hispanic imigrants. Do you think that's my choice??? No! I could really care less. But I am fairly sure my customers would rather see a nice, clean-cut, fit, friendly, white year old kid taking care of their property. That would probably be their first preference. So why don't I do that? It isn't because I haven't tried those kids out. I'd LOVE to have a whole crew of guys fitting that description. And I have before. But 95% of the time, they end up having "Issues." Either they are lazy, or they constantly want days off, or raises, or draws, or they get sick too much, or they gotta stay home with their sick daughter because the ex-girfriend dropped her off or they do drugs or whatever!!! Most all of the americans got "issues". And guess what? I still hire them sometimes. But I am gettng better at weeding them out these days. And even though I still hire them, they still almost never work out. Whereas the hispanics have ZERO issues, would work 7 days a week if I'd let them, and are loyal and happy as heck. It's a no-brainer.
  3. YardPro

YardPro LawnSite Gold Member

we do not allow them. we provide one phone per crew. we know exactly how much time they spend on our phones.