Cell phone usage and jobsites.

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by tthomass, Jan 1, 2008.

1. tthomass

tthomass LawnSite Gold Member
    from N. VA

Not exactly on topic I suppose but I'm asking in the forum from which I wish to gather creditable answers.

What, exactly, is your or the company you work for......policy regarding cell phone usage? Do you supply a company phone and are personal calls made from it? What policy is in effect regarding personal cell phones?

Are they allowed at all? Are they allowed at lunch only?

How are such things enforced? Not get off the phone or you're fired but is there a warning system in place? X warnings and a suspension without pay?

2. BrandonV

BrandonV LawnSite Platinum Member

it's a problem with my white boys I'll be honest. but when I'm around it happens less but I know it happens too much when I'm not around. I do supply some of my guys w/ phones... mostly just the drivers, and I tell them use them all you want on weekends and after 9 (free time) or w/ other VZW users and I've not had any problems, but I have a honest bunch. 2 guys I have use their own phones and I give them a stipend. but honestly smoking is a bigger problem, I'm considering paying non smoking employees more because of the loss of productivity, it really bugs me
  3. tthomass

tthomass LawnSite Gold Member
    from N. VA

Yes smoking is another issue. I'm debating instituting a break system. Say a 15min break at 9:30am and again at 3pm with a 30min lunch. We currently take a 1hr lunch. Benefit would be controlled usage of smoking and phone usage during these specified times only. I'm the owner, I use my phone when I want and have to because my phone brings their pay checks.
  4. BrandonV

BrandonV LawnSite Platinum Member

we don't run a break, we prefer the 1hr lunch, especially when it hot so we can nap...
  5. capetrees

capetrees LawnSite Member
    from ma

Nextels only with the speaker on. That way the "conversation" is info only and not a lovey dovey call. All business only. 1 hour lunch is the best way I think with coffee in the morning and something to drink in the afternoon. No break for either though. Just enough time to drink it. And no smoking on the job. Hate it in a hole or confined area.
  6. RockSet N' Grade

RockSet N' Grade LawnSite Silver Member

cell phone use has become a real issue.....If it is not job related or a family emergency/issue/problem.......keep the sucker pouched until you are are your own time OR turn it off and leave it in the truck. No exceptions......enforcing that is another matter and I believe its misuse or overuse is a problem that is just not specific to one industry. No real answers except being on the job........if you aren't there, guaranteed misuse.

Implementing more "break-times", especially to curb smoking just doesn't work. The only outcome that I have observed with more break times is that the break times get longer than you allocated, the break time is used as an excuse, work slows down before the break time and never really picks back up to pace after break time........owner cost just goes up and production gets compromised.

If your guys can't smoke and work at the same time without slowing the whole crew down.......it may be time to weed out the weak link. I smoke and some of my guys smoke......I don't like it, but it is what it is. My policy is simple: keep moving and producing, take a drink while you are moving, take a smoke while you are moving......but keep moving, and if you can't do that........adios! This "smoke break" idea is b.s., a time waster, unacceptable and encourages lazy people to be lazier.....I don't buy into that mindset at all.

We do a 30 min lunch, anymore than that and I personally start to fall asleep and lose momentum. That's my general layout and of course there are exceptions, but that is my general philosophy and it has worked and continues to work for me in the 30 plus years I have been doing this kind of work. One more thing.......no ciggy butts are allowed to be thrown on the ground and no trash is to be left on the ground. You smoke, ok...crush it out and put the butt in your pocket till the end of the day....no exceptions there and I have fired guys on the spot for being "trashy" about that. Hold certain lines, but choose your battles to win your war........
  7. lawnscapesLLC

lawnscapesLLC LawnSite Member

Rockset, i do the same thing. if they can smoke and work at the same time then i have no problems with it, but they have field dress it. if i find any butts from a person i make them clean the whole yard or job site. since we all smoke different brands it makes it easy. Cell phones are alittle tougher. If it's an occasional short call i can deal with that, but if its more than that we have a serious talk and then if it still does not get better and the work suffers then off they go.
  8. mrusk

mrusk LawnSite Gold Member

My guys are pretty good about it. If they talk for more then a minute or two i start the demo saw right up and cut some block.
  9. Tadams

Tadams LawnSite Senior Member

That's a very good idea!
  10. AJ Lawnscapes

AJ Lawnscapes LawnSite Senior Member

My business partner really tee'd me off this year with the cell phone. Neither of us smoke, so that wasn't an issue.

It was the damn texting, about every freaking minute he was getting or sending. I rode him about it, but it didn't work.

If I do it again this year, it's no cell phones unless it's an emergency. IF you're getting a text, it's not an emergency.