Cell Phone Use. I Need a answer :)

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by HarryD, Oct 16, 2003.

1. HarryD

HarryD LawnSite Bronze Member

I have missed alot of calls this summer and people do not leave messages. I tried to carry my phone and use the vibrate but could not feel it vibrate so I missed calls :mad: I am looking for a way to answer my cell during the day while mowing so I can pick up some of this work that I am missing out on. Any of you have a way that you do it that would work for me :confused:

2. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

the only way that someones call can reach me at work is in the office or in the truck, not while I am working on the job site. Just too much of a hassle I feel to answer the phone while you are mowing, trimming, edging, or blowing.

3. Simone Lawn Service

Simone Lawn Service LawnSite Member

I know a friend of mine uses an answering service to take his calls to his business phone number. A live body answers the phone , sounds professional, and I think people are more likely to leave a message with what sounds like your own personal receptionist. I think the cost is probably pretty minimal. I know what you mean about not feeling the vibrate-try putting the phone down the front of your pants when mowing...LOL

Good Luck!

4. HarryD

I am not getting 100's of calls a day maybe at the most 2 or 3 so it would not be that big of a deal to stop for a few minutes and get some info. Now if I didn't need any more work then I would not worry about it

5. NCSULandscaper

NCSULandscaper Banned

I have caller Id on my cell phone, when i miss a call i just look at the Caller ID and call them back stating that i saw your number come up while i was away from my phone.

6. HarryD

I too have caller ID. I thought of doing this but would much rather answer the calls

7. lawnagent

lawnagent LawnSite Senior Member

I know what you mean Harry. It has happened to me on more than one ocassion that I pick up my phone and dial the call I missed only to be told. We called so and so because we didnt get an answer at the other numbers we called, and he will be out tomorrow to do our yard. Thanks for calling though.

8. Rustic Goat

Rustic Goat LawnSite Bronze Member

Have you done a search here for phones, cell phones, answering machines?

There are some lengthy threads here on this subject.

9. Jimbo

Jimbo LawnSite Bronze Member

HarryD- How new is your phone??? With the newer phones you can download different ring tones. You might find one that has a combo ring and vibe with a stronger vibe. My phone comes with about 6 different types from pulse to a long vibe.

I would check with your carrier about your options. Personally unless I am blowing I can usually feel it with the vibe feature I use. I try to keep my phone down in my pants pocket or in a holder that is close to the body. Some of the newer phones have an extended holder to keep the phone (radiation) away from the body, and with those it is harder to feel it ring.

I would check into different ring tones, different holder, and with carrier for further options/ services in that order.

Jimbo

10. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

I have a cell phone, but NEVER give it out to customers.

If a customer cant wait until I come home at night for me to return their call, I don't want them as a customer.

I don't know of any LCO's in my area that if you call them at 1 in the afternoon that anything but an answering machine will pick up.

Let them wait.

Or get a cell with a more powerfull vibrate feature. Mine isn't that strong, but my buddies contractor phone (yellow ones) will shake your bones!