Cell Phones and Lawn Care?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by TOSLC, Mar 14, 2002.

1. TOSLC

TOSLC LawnSite Member

How many of you carry a cell phone while doing lawn care, and if you do what style or brand have you found that is most durable. I've had a Motorola Startac for about two years now, and just broke it today. Time for a new one! Motorola, if your listening I'd like a Stainless Steel cell phone modeled off the robust design of a Dixie Chopper. As Tim Allen would say, RRR RRR RRR!!!!!!

2. KirbysLawn

KirbysLawn Millenium Member

I have a Motrolola Nextel i85, tough phone. I have dropped this one several times with no damages, the last one I had I ran over it with the aera-vator, the screen was crunched but the phone still worked and I used it until the replacement came, switched the chip and had a new phone.

3. BReese

BReese LawnSite Member
    from 48420

I am currently using Nextel's i550...very durable phone...I've done everything short of taking it swimming and it just keeps going. Nextel's service is pretty good, too. I cannot imagine trying to do business without it!:cool:

4. Commander

Commander Banned

I carry my cell phone with me in whatever I am driving. If I am walking a property or doing errands or whatever I keep it on me. If I am working on a machine such as a tractor / excavator / bobcat / etc then I put it in the machine. If I am cutting grass, doing any landscaping, or any other grunt work I leave it in the truck. Even though I use a Motorola i700 series (which is the most durable phone out there) I still don't like the idea of it being banged around and whatever. I have had employees in the past who carried their phones on their belts whenever they did anything... I didn't care for this too much, however I never had a problem reaching them.

5. John DiMartino

John DiMartino LawnSite Silver Member

I carry my phone everyplace i go,when i'm mowing, i carry it in my front pocket,so i canfeel itvibrate,becasue you certainly cant hear it over the Dixie,si this way i dont miss a call,in this day and age i dont know how you could get by without one.

6. ScotLawn

ScotLawn LawnSite Senior Member

If I'm up and semi awake, my Cell phone is on me or right beside me. I'm on VoiceStream and am using the Nokia 8290. It's very very small, 3/4" thick and 1 1/2" wide and maybe 3 1/2" long. It's very tough with the leather case I have. One plus is it vibrates when it rings so most times I can tell it's ringing when operating equip. Another phone you can't go wrong with is the Nokia 5100/6100 series phones. I've had two of them for 1 year each and always dropped them. I wore out the batteries before I did the phones.

My cell phone I guess you could say is more important than my keys. I can always call someone for a spare set.

Scot

7. clipfert

clipfert LawnSite Member

I use the same ..Motorola StarTAC. I am on my second one. Dropped the first and broke it. I would suggest to get the adddtional insurance to cover broken /stolen phones. If it is stolen you must have a police report. Call em up and the send a new one and send the old one back . Had the second one only a few days and dropped it in the toilet (before it was used) and it still worked!

:eek:

I feel the most important issue for cell phones is the service area. Right now I have Verizon and I feel like the guy in the commercial "Can you hear me now?" Too many dead areas where I am. Can any one suggest a good service provider in Eastern PA?:confused:

8. kerr lawn

kerr lawn LawnSite Member

Nextel the i700 plus
    you can't go wrong with it.
    like everything else, it has its moments but 99 of time it works
    i talk to it nice and then it seems to work again

9. Same here, a yellow one. If it falls off I can find it no problem.

Dropped many times.

Ran over 2 times.

Thrown a few times.

Tough phone.

10. Mark

Mark LawnSite Senior Member

I always carry my cell phone with me im solo and you just never know if something could happen. Ive got the tele-tac 250 Motorola its a field phone and is very tuff,ive banged it droped it on concrete but it keeps on ticking. I buy the prepaid cards two thirty dollar cards last me a season. Marks Mowing Service