Cell phones and phone book listings

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by JimmyStew, Apr 11, 2009.

1. Jon11

Jon11 LawnSite Member

I transfered my office phone to a cell phone (and added it to my current plan for $20 a month)... Saves me about $15 a month, and when 6pm roles around, I just turn that phone off so callers will go straight to voicemail... I also find it a huge advantage to be able to take it on the road with me. I have picked up serveral clients because I was the first person to show up and give an estimate (which I wouldn't have been if I didn't get the message until later that night).

There are also some cell phones that will let you use 2 lines, so you would only have to carry one cell phone... although I prefer two phones.

Also, just a note because there was some confusion with the morons at the cell phone store when I ported the land line over to a cell... it takes about a week to port the number, unlike porting a cell phone to another cell carrier which only takes a few minutes. Your land line will continue to work like normal until just seconds before the phone number switches to the cell... so you will have no down time with that number.

2. honeydopm

honeydopm LawnSite Senior Member

Check into a virtual line. I pay $12 a month and have that line transferred to my cell phone. No equipment to install or any hassle to deal with!

3. Bru75

Bru75 LawnSite Senior Member

I don't have a clue, but would be surprised if the phone company would allow a listing from another provider.

4. KAG

KAG LawnSite Member

My main cell # is my biz line. I do not think anyone cares anymore if its a land line or a cell as long as a human answers. My land line is my private residence line and do not give it out to any customers.

5. Outdoors_Unlimited

Outdoors_Unlimited LawnSite Senior Member

I dont think they mind seeing a cell as a number. Many guys around here use their cells as the main line.

I think it gives you an advantage because you are answering their call, and not calling back later in the evening.

6. Bru75

Bru75 LawnSite Senior Member

Hey, whatever works for you!
    For me, I hate having to stop work, shut off machines, go to the truck for a pen and paper, ask my new prospective customer to repeat themselves because a truck just drove by all for something that in all likelyhood is not an emergency and could easily wait until I get to the office. Not to mention that I'm on the clock for an existing customer.
    My cell is for emergencies, family, and suppliers, period.
    I return all calls as soon as I can. I don't believe I have ever lost a job by calling back in the evening, in fact many people thank me for getting back to them so fast.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2009
  7. PLS-Tx

PLS-Tx LawnSite Silver Member
    from Texas

We have done this also, with no problems.