Cell phones and taxes

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by Tadams, Jan 12, 2003.

1. Tadams

Tadams LawnSite Senior Member

This may be a stupid question to ask but I've searched and haven't found any info on this and I haven't been to my CPA but I was just wondering if you can take a tax write-off for your cell phone bill. I'm sure you could with a phone that was used only for business purposes but I'm extremely small (for now :cry: ) and use my cell for mostly personal calls. Unless you can count calls to the Boss :D . What does everybody think?

2. Turfdude

Turfdude LawnSite Bronze Member

Who's name is the phone in- yours or company's? If in company's you can write off 100%.If yours personally, you will probably get to write off a %. Check w/ your account.

Bob

3. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

If the phone is strickly a business phone and you can prove it is only used for business purposes, you're ok. If not, like Turfdude said, you will only be able to deduct a percentage...and that's arbitrary I would think.

4. bruces

bruces LawnSite Senior Member

Because the phone is in the company's name doesn't make 100% of the bill a legitimate write off. The use is really the determining factor.

If 50% of the calls are business, then 50% of the bills are deductible.

What people do and what is right according to the tax laws are often 2 different things.

5. Earthscapes

Earthscapes LawnSite Member
    from WNY

Bruce hit the nail on the head.

"What people do and what is right according to the tax laws are often 2 different things."

6. Tadams

Tadams LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks guys. I haven't talked to my cpa yet but I was just wondering on ya'lls opinion.

7. CMerLand

CMerLand LawnSite Senior Member

Tadams,

Get the phone in your companies name and youll be fine. Im not an accountant so dont take this as the gospel, but unless your cell phone bills are really outrageous its reallllllly unlikely that if you get audited by the IRS they are going to go through your cell phone bills to determine personal from business calls.

Things like trying to write off your home office, and claiming $30,000 in office supplies when your a one year old company might get you noticed by the bad men in washington, but your $ 100 cell phone isnt very likely to trigger the G-men.

Best of luck

CMerrick