cell phones, carriers and plans

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by bigviclbi, Mar 5, 2005.

1. bigviclbi

bigviclbi LawnSite Senior Member
    from nj

Guys what kind of plans/carriers do you use.Does anyone have Verizon walkie talkies? I currently have a nextel but when my plan comes up I am thinking about switching back to Verizon. Verizon coverage is almost perfect when I had it, Nextel is only pretty good. I think Verizon was cheaper too. My bill is about $100.00 am month, $1200.00 cell phone a year is alot for me. My customers are always calling and talk my ear off.
  2. PLM-1

PLM-1 LawnSite Bronze Member

I didn't know Verizon has walkie talkies! I have Verizon and the service seems to be ok. It's better than US Cellular used to be.

I have 1500 minutes and it's $79.99/month.
  3. Bings

Bings LawnSite Member

Around here most folks in construction, landscaping ect. are using Nextel. It's hard to beat the plan with FREE INCOMING calls. Especially when you are using your cell phone for your business number.
  4. D Felix

D Felix LawnSite Bronze Member

I switched to Nextel on my personal phone last August. Mostly because there is a tower a mile away, and the only time I had any reception with my Cingular phone was when I was on the roof of my house.....

I am getting reimbursed for part of my phone bill though, since I use it for business purposes. Free nights and weekends, free incoming calls. Can't beat it.:)

Most of our suppliers use Nextels, so it's easy to hit them up on the DC and talk that way. My boss's just switched to Nextel too, so the DC will be getting more use.

One thing to remember: the Nextel coverage will only keep getting better. They aren't dumping $100 million/year into NASCAR to take down towers!

5. Eddie B

Eddie B LawnSite Senior Member
    from gone

I'm a Sprint dude... I wish I had free incoming calls. Coverage is great tho, and calls are clear. I have trouble understanding the Nextel dudes. :mad:
  6. Lawnchoice

Lawnchoice LawnSite Senior Member

Nextel - Have had it for almost 8 years now.

Don't really care what it costs because it works pretty good most all the time.
  7. bigviclbi

bigviclbi LawnSite Senior Member
    from nj

I drove across country and my Verizon gave me perfect coverage everywhere but in the swamps of Arkansas. My Nextel is ok but definfinately more expensive than Verizon, seems I always miss my customers calls then call them back on my dime.
  8. Coffeecraver

Coffeecraver LawnSite Senior Member
    from VA.

I have SUNCOM Unlimited Olan 60.00 per month 300 long distance minutes free.

Now Cingular has bought it and they do not have an unlimited plan so
    I am waiting to see what will be their new offer before changeing.
    When I talked to SUNCOM they stated that those with those plans could keep them,but I don't figure that will last too long.

Verizon is most likely my next choice since I have had Nextel and they can't seem to get the billing right. I found that on several occations they overcharged me,only to give me credits and do the same thing the next month.
    That is why I switched to SunCom.

9. D Felix

D Felix LawnSite Bronze Member

The only problem I've had so far with Nextel's billing is they don't always get it out consistantly at the same time of the month. They blame it on the Post Office, but I have a hard time believing that, especially when all of our other bills get here at the same time every month! Had one bill show up about 2 days before it was due! Fortunately they've gotten better, and there's also a 15 day grace period.

Norm, your plan will probably still stay the same. However, as soon as you start having problems with your phone, you'll have to "upgrade", meaning get a plan you don't like, with a phone that may or may not work.:rolleyes:

I hate cell carriers!

10. cgland

cgland LawnSite Bronze Member

We have Nextels and love them. They have great coverage in my area and I almost never have a reception problems. It is nice because most of my suppliers and subs have them so I never have a problem getting a hold of someone. Right now we have 8 phones on our plan and it does get a little pricey, but I don't think I would ever switch.