Cell Phones

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Skolnick's Landscaping, Jun 1, 2001.

1. Skolnick's Landscaping

Skolnick's Landscaping LawnSite Member

I currently am using AT&T as my cell phone carrier and am fairly happy with it. But my phone has been dropped so many times ran over by my ZTR mower a couple of times but luckily the blades didnt pick it up and at this point it barely works. So its time for a new one i am thinking about a two way feature like nextel or even family talk. I also remember someone mentioning a few weeks ago about hand held radios he was gonna get which were only $15 a month each. What would you guys recomend, any info would be great i plan on going to buy something tonight.

2. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

3. geogunn

geogunn LawnSite Gold Member
    from TN

I think I'd stick with the cell phone over the radio option as long as you have good coverage.

GEO

4. Groundcover Solutions

Groundcover Solutions LawnSite Bronze Member

ONE WORD
    :blob3: NEXTEL

5. TFL

TFL LawnSite Member

If you want a cell Phone plan that there are no strings attached try trac phone. in this plan you buy minute cards anywher from 10-500 i like this because the phone cost next to nothing and your not stuck in a plan so you don't loose much if you loose it or break it.

6. KirbysLawn

KirbysLawn Millenium Member

Nextel, AT&T second best.

7. jnjnlc

jnjnlc LawnSite Member

Kirby, are you currently using Nextel? I have Verizon and am thinking of changing to Nextel for the 2-way feature. I also do landscaping and some of my vendors use the Nextel. I could 2-way them if needed.

How is the coverage on Nextel? Are you satisfied with your coverage?

I am beginning to hate Verizon. I seem to drop 2 - 3 calls a day.

8. Volhunter

Volhunter LawnSite Member
    from TN

Jeff,
    I used to work for Nextel and can tell that you should have excellent coverage. The Carolina's, especially in the Charlotte area has probably the best coverage in the country. Hope my .02 helps.

9. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

Josh,

I am currently considering a cellular phone. I work solo, so it would be a good safety feature in case of an emergency, plus, its a tax write off.

I know that there have been many discussions on this subject, but the different carriers are always changing and hopefully improving. So whats the best?

My Mom and Sister have a Sprint family phone. My Mom's phone is a POS and drops calls all the time! My sisters is a better phone and seems fine. Only problem is that Sprint is always dropping calls and going out of service. I just cant believe that its 2001which is over 25 years since the cellular phone was developed and you still cant have 100% of the US covered for service.

I dont want a load of free minutes, just cheap monthly rates and QUALITY SERVICE without loosing any calls. Is that too much to ask for?

10. KirbysLawn

KirbysLawn Millenium Member

Jeff, I love my Nextel, I have not had a dropped call in months! Nextel has the strongest signal also, the true test is when we go into Presbyterian Hospital in Matthews, the true test is in the basement, EVERY cell service goes dead at the door, however Nextel stays good down the hall and into the back rooms!

STAY AWAY FROM SPRINT PCS!!! THEY ARE THEY WORST SERVICE I HAVE EVER SEEN.

Ray