1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

cell phones

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by lawman, Feb 20, 2000.

1. lawman

lawman LawnSite Member

Does anyone use cell or nextell, pagers for their busines. If so how are they being used?
  2. Lazer

Lazer LawnSite Bronze Member

All of our full-time year 'round employees have Nextel.
  3. paul

paul Lawnsite Addict

Nex-tel saved us about $1500 per month. We tried 900 mgz radios but the lack of private conversation and the wait for a clear line was not worth it. Cell phones are ok for limited use but I use my phone about 1000-1200 minutes per month not including 4000 minutes of free radio time.<p>----------<br>paul<br>
  4. Lanelle

Lanelle LawnSite Bronze Member

Our company uses 2-way radio for the grounds maint. division and is going to Nextel for the landscape division. The sales people and vice presidents have cell phones and pagers. The office voice mail pages me so I can retrieve my incoming messages. All foremen have pagers, too. If we like Nextel, we'll probably expand that.<p>----------<br>Lanelle<br>
  5. geogunn

geogunn LawnSite Gold Member
    from TN

it was hard to tell from the post if the question was cell-- or nextel. I've heard of nextel but I am not sure of what it can do.<p>as for cell (and or digital phone service) and pager, I don't see how you can work without it. on a monthly basis, when the grass is growing, I usually get enough &quot;emergency&quot; business calls to pay for the phones and pagers because the larger contract services don't come through on the service the promise. <p> I've thought about putting headlights on my lesco wb for the church grass I've cut at nearly dark on friday because of the weddings on sat. oh well, for a small operator like me, the emergencies are gravey, and usually lead to long term relationships.<p>GEO
  6. HOMER

HOMER LawnSite Gold Member

Man, I must be small time. I just moved up to the Cobra 2-way/2 channel(LOL) just to be able to direct a little while on large properties.<br>How big are some of your businesses?<p>Homer
  7. paul

paul Lawnsite Addict

Nex-tel phone are a digital phone plus a two way radio plus voice mail and pager in one unit. options include group talk ( I can call all my crews at one time) e-mail and contractor to contrator radio. cost depends on area we pay abot $400 per month for 7 radios and 2 cell phones. you must buy the phones cost about $100-300 per phone. <p>----------<br>paul<br>
  8. Lanelle

What do you think of outlawing cell phone use while driving?
  9. Guido

Guido LawnSite Silver Member

Outlawing Cell Phones would be as foolish as trying to outlaw passengers!! Have you ever drove a car with cranky toddlers in the back seat? At least when your talking on a cell you can look at the road, not the back seat!! I do know what they mean about the idiots who can't talk and drive at the same time, but thats not everybody. <p>----------<br>&quot;guido&quot;<br>David M. Famiglietti<br>
  10. Lanelle

I heard on the news that somebody testifying to outlaw the usage tried to equate driving while talking to alcohol impairment. And if everybody pulls over to talk, the road sides will be so clogged you won't be able to get down the narrower streets. In fact I saw a lady today pulled over--right at an intersection to talk. I don't think they can legislate out stupidity.