1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

cell Phones

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Mitchell, Nov 19, 2000.

1. Mitchell

Mitchell LawnSite Member

I was wondering how many pro's and part-timers use cell phones in the field? I have used mine when calling customers from the field, or bidding on jobs.(I have never had a customer tell me no when I called them at work and told them my quote and that I was in front of thier house ready to go.) They are also very handy to call the wife and tell her when to have supper ready! (or if I need to stop and pick-up)
  2. Vandora Lawn & Landscape

Vandora Lawn & Landscape LawnSite Senior Member

Excellent business tools. I couldn't live without mine. Call customers on the run. Arrange rentals. Call dealer and see if he has a part in stock. Call home talk to mother :). Call significant other. Anything else?
  3. geogunn

geogunn LawnSite Gold Member
    from TN

I stay connected. VERIZON is my provider. even though I don't travel widely, my coverage is national, no roaming, no extra fees. very nice.

4. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

Have one for 6 years now and its very valueable.
  5. Vibe Ray

Vibe Ray LawnSite Senior Member

Very useful, but in my opinion, not worth the $$$
  6. dmk395

dmk395 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ma

My cellphone is my business phone, along with a laptop its like i have a virtual office in my truck!
  7. PLS

PLS LawnSite Member

Mine has paid for itself for the year with just one call. I don't use it much, but when I need it, it can save many miles driven or hours wasted. So many plans to choose from now, surely there's one to fit anyone's budget.

8. Prime Seasons

Prime Seasons LawnSite Member

Those who use cellular are just a little too stuck up... yeah, I used to think that way. For the last two years now, the cell phone is almost as important as the ztr's on my trailer.

I can't imagine not having a cell phone while out and about. Also consider call forwarding. This is real handy for me as I am a solo operator-- no secretary waiting to field calls for me back at the office. Makes a much better image when you can respond to customers and other potentials immediately as opposed to checking for messages every few hours!!!

gus $.02
  9. John DiMartino

John DiMartino LawnSite Silver Member

I use mine a lot,especially when plowing,we have terrible service in my area,no signal,especially with digital,im always getting "all circuits busy' when i try to dial out.we need a major overhalu of our system.My father actualy won a case against the phone co,he returned phone and cancelled service due to lack of service signal and all circuits busy,whenever he tried to use it.Phone co slapped him with big $$$ fine for not fulfilling 15 mo commitment-he had his attorney file papers and they settled before court-all fines dropped.I will; be trying the walky-talky type phones next year,friends who have them love them.
  10. Duncan IN

Duncan IN LawnSite Member

If you are haveing problems with a bad signal try one of the portable antennas. I too am in a bad signal area alot of the times I only get one bar. But with the exteral attenna I get three bars out of 4. Not bad

Levi Duncan