1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Cell Phones

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by RedWingsDet, Jun 16, 2004.

1. RedWingsDet

RedWingsDet LawnSite Gold Member
    from Detroit

im looking at getting a new celly, i hate my verizon audiovax 8900, it drops calls like no other. and its not durable. 6months ago i had a sprint, i had it for 2 years, and that small little flip phone was the most durable phone i have seen. ive thrown it out the window a few times (i got mad and threw it and thought the window was up) and the phone still worked, i liked it.

im looking at nextel. what do you guys think of nextel? i was thinking of getting 2 of them in a package deal? are they durable? and what model nextels do you guys/gals use that are durable and hold up. i normally keep mine in the truck when cutting, but when landscaping i usually carry it with me.

sorry if this is the wrong section to put this thread it, i wasnt sure which one to put it in...

thanks in advandce. :)
  2. MikeLT1Z28

MikeLT1Z28 LawnSite Bronze Member

the only thing i'd get a nextel for would be if i had employees to use the radio with or family members. my carrier offers one price for unlimited montly use so that's what i went with. cellular south for you guys in this region, better than cricket by far.
  3. RedWingsDet

RedWingsDet LawnSite Gold Member
    from Detroit

also, may i add, my freind whos family owns a cellphone store is giving me 14% discount each month on my bill and a good deal on a phone. im just more intrested on the durability and service/features of these phones. and what models you guys/gals use.
  4. John at JDH Select

John at JDH Select LawnSite Member
    from Indy

I was with Verizon for 10 years and just switched to Nextel this year. I based my decision on convenience, not durability. Most of the carriers offer a "durable" or construction quality phone, but Nextel seems to be the most popular with contractors in Indy. Many of the "green industry" pros that I network with carry Nextel and it is a great networking tool. The downside...coverage area is limited.
  5. MikeLT1Z28

MikeLT1Z28 LawnSite Bronze Member

oh, in that case i have a nokia 3300 series, been good so far.
  6. fixer67

fixer67 LawnSite Silver Member

A Friend of mine just had his verizon audiovax go up on him . verizon tells him that they have quit carrying a lot of the audiovax phones because so few people were buying them. By the way he had his verizon audiovax in for repairs about every 2 months. The shop had it more than he did.
  7. Blades of Steel

Blades of Steel LawnSite Senior Member

I got my nextel bill today... I let you have it.... No ewxtra charge. Not to mention if your not in the city all the time it doesn't work. MINE SUCKS and I can't wait to change to an unlimited plan for 125 or so.. My bill this month was 509 for 4 phones...

8. Premo Services

Premo Services LawnSite Bronze Member

Nextell, ATT, Verizion, Cingular, you name the company and someone will have a complaint about them. I userd cingular(southwesternbell) for 10 years, the phones were ok, but wer not made rugged enough for the abuse that they get doing the work we do everyday. Yes there was a lot of places that I did not have a signal, and the most bothersome part was I could never hear it ring or had a hard time hearing the conversation. I switched to neXtel this year and I love it. The phone is the i530. The speakerphone is awesome. I can open the flip and make a call everywhere I am and hear the conversation perfectly. The phone is holding up well for being dropped several times, rained on, I left it setting on my trailer, and tried to cut the lawn before it started raining, I did finish right before the rain, but the phone got a little wet before I realized it was setting there.I am very happy with my neXtel phone....:cool: :D :cool:
  9. Scenic Lawnscape

Scenic Lawnscape LawnSite Senior Member

i swear by nextel, i will never use anything else
  10. mowerman90

mowerman90 LawnSite Bronze Member

I've got a Sanyo 5300 camera/flip phone through Sprint and love it. Had it for about a year now no problems. Coverage is great and haven't had more than 2 dropped calls within the past year.
    The main reason I got it was because I can get the internet on it and get the MyCast weather radar in real time. Great feature here in FL with afternoon thunderstorms. Now I know weather to sit it out or pack up and go home for the day.