Cell towers maintenance

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by riggio, Mar 27, 2012.

1. riggio

riggio LawnSite Member

Hi!

Recently, I started my own business. I already had a few clients, mainly small businesses. I mow their small commercial lawns and that's it. I don't have any employee.

I was thinking about mowing cell towers. They're all over the country. A few weeks ago, I decided to contact one of the major carriers. Success! They were interested in trying me out.

They sent me to three sites nearby: two in the suburbs and one on a mountain top. First two sites were alright, took about an hour each. Only had to use my lawn mower and weed eater.

Last one took about 2 hours to complete the job. Lot of tall weeds, even had to use my chainsaw to cut some small trees inside the fence perimeter! That wasn't that hard, I actually liked it alot.

Now they went to see the jobs and were satisfied. They'd like me to do some more: fencing repairs and minor repairs to the small radio building housing the equipments. It sounds interesting.

They asked me how much do I charge and what area I can cover. I haven't responded yet. I don't mind covering a 200 miles radius from my home. But I have absolutely no clue how much to charge them...:confused:

Anyone here did/do cell towers? Any stories? suggestions? tips?

Thanks.

John R

2. TriCountyLawn

TriCountyLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

200 mile radius ? These jobs pay that well ?

3. riggio

riggio LawnSite Member

I meant 100 miles radius :laugh:

4. TriCountyLawn

TriCountyLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

100 mile radius ? These jobs pay that well ?

5. Ridin' Green

Ridin' Green LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Michigan

:laugh::laugh::laugh:
    That's exactly what I was thinking when he reposted 100 instead of 200 miles.

There'd have to be a LOT of money involved to travel like that, and I'm guessing you'd have to have some pretty good insurance working around that type of stuff/place.

6. riggio

riggio LawnSite Member

Ok just called them. Talked about my labour rate and the price I'd charge for every mile traveled. They want me to cover a 100 miles radius. They agreed with my travel pricing and hourly rate, which pays plenty for my gas and time. They'll call me once in a while to mow sites that need attention. As for the insurance, generic liability insurance will do. They also asked me to do maintenance for the building and fencing. I agreed.

Anyone here did/do cell towers mowing/maintenance?

7. riggio

riggio LawnSite Member

Anyone ?

Thanks

8. riggio

riggio LawnSite Member

I'll just reply here in order to keep the thread on the top.

9. riggio

riggio LawnSite Member

Anyone?
    Thanks

10. clydebusa

clydebusa LawnSite Bronze Member

Good luck you will need it.

Let us know how it goes.