1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Celtic Retaining walls

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by MMB, Feb 2, 2005.

1. MMB

MMB LawnSite Member

Was wondering what kind of prices u get on building retaining walls with
    blocks such as celtic from belgard the cost for the blocks here is11.15 sq ft.

thanks ! mark
  2. neversatisfiedj

neversatisfiedj LawnSite Bronze Member

What are the dimensions ?
  3. D Felix

D Felix LawnSite Bronze Member

Try doing a search on this forum, it's been covered many times....

I've said it before, and I'll say it again, I'm sure, but you have to price each wall according to what needs to be done. We have a wall that is in suspended progress (due to winter), that all told would probably be well over $100/square face foot range. There is *NO*, and I mean *NO* way we could have done everything we are doing for the "typical" $20-30 psff that you see a lot of guys saying.

On top of the amount of block, you need to figure the equipment to do all of the excavation, compactors, gravel, sand, drainage, plus labor for all of those facets and any I've left out. Then you can give a total price.

To simply say that you charge $XX per square foot of face is just totally absurd, IMHO. There is just too many factors involved. You should figure each job on it's own, then, if you want to know what your $XX/sff is *for that job*, you can figure it out.:)

4. YardPro

YardPro LawnSite Gold Member

we get $25-$35/sq ft for celtic wall.

a low long wall is more per sqft becuase there is more base per sqft, and more top cap.

also more curves are more--- more top cap cuts.

the wall that you're doing felix is a renovation... that's a whole different ball game.

we have done walls that are as much as $50/sqft, but that is about the highest we''ve seen here.
    also i have done a couple for $15/sq ft and lost my butt. ( first ones we did)
  5. MMB

MMB LawnSite Member

Thanks YardPro kinda what i was looking at just to get a base price !
    Most of what goes on here is wood but the blocks are being used more and more'
    i understand what felix is saying ! thanks guys
  6. MMB

MMB LawnSite Member

Thanks fielix I understand what u are saying very well!
    i was just looking at a base price to start. Thanks again
  7. YardPro

YardPro LawnSite Gold Member

you have to have a base # to work with.

when a customer asks about a wall, then asks you what you think it will cost you have to have a ballpark to quote from.

you would not want to invest a ton of time measuring, figuring etc. when they're just feeling it out.