Cemetary Bid Help

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Infinite, Mar 28, 2005.

1. Infinite

Infinite LawnSite Member

I found out about a bid on a cemetary that needs to be put in by the 31st, and need a little help finding a correct price. I live in a rural area and lawn care doesn't go for as much as in the city. My former boss had a cemetary that we mowed for the past 4 years that was 16 acres with 4 acres being open and the rest had stones sticking out of the ground on it. He charged 340 to only mow and 525 each time he trimmed it which is every other time. The cemetary that I want to bid on is about 7 acres with 1 acre being open and the stones are sticking out of the ground. I talked to the guy taking the bids and asked him if he wanted it bidded on every cutting or a lump sum for the season, and he said lump sum. I asked him how many cuttings to bid the lump sum for and he told me thats up to me. I then asked him how many cuttings there were last year so I could make some kind of figure out and he told me he doesn't know but he thinks its over 12. He gave me horrible info but I guess they just want a low price. What I don't understand is someone can think they are going to cut it 12 times in the year and bid 3000 and then somebody can think they are going to cut it 15 times and bid 3750 and the guy with the lower figure would get it, correct? This bid is really frustrating me because I want it bad!!

2. WoodBrothersLC

WoodBrothersLC LawnSite Senior Member

We mow a 2.5 acre cemetary every week. The cemetary has raised and flat headstones so some trimming is involved. We charge $300 every time we mow. We trim the front half one week and the back half the next, and just rotate it like that. It takes us 2 hours to mow it with a 52" Stander, 48" Encore that my brother Joe (Co-owner) and I run. Our younger brother works for us for $8 an hour using the 21 to go between spots to small for the larger mowers, but to big to want to weedeat. After mowing the 2.5 acres and weedeating half of it, the total time ranges from 2.5 hours to 2.75 hours if we pick up any sticks or anything. The math goes like this:
    $300.00-$16(for younger brother's labor)=$284

$284/2(people)= $142

$142/2.5(hours)=$56.80 an hour

That is just under the $60 we try to make an hour together, so the price is just right. Figure out what you need to make hourly to be effective in your estimate.

3. Infinite

Infinite LawnSite Member

I could guarantee if I went by that price there is no chance I would get the cemetary. Like I said I mowed a 16 acre cemetary with headstones out of the ground, mow only-340, and mow and trim the whole thing-525. This is a small rural area.