Cemetary Growth Regulator

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by WoodBrothersLC, May 1, 2005.

1. WoodBrothersLC

WoodBrothersLC LawnSite Senior Member

Has anyone used a growth regulator around headstones in cemetaries to reduce trimming time. Are there any cons to doing this and can it be applied without a pesticide license....Thanks Everyone
  2. SodKing

SodKing LawnSite Bronze Member

I have not used it on cemetaries but I do use it at condominiums and other commercial properties. You do need a license to apply it as it is a product that controls a pest (weeds/grass) according to FIFRA. We reduce our trimming time by about 60% when using a regulator.
  3. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 LawnSite Platinum Member

I used Primo Maxx last year on some fence lines at a school I maintain.

Kept the grass short enough where we didn't have to trim for 6 weeks.

Do a search on that product, you'll get some more info.
  4. Neal Wolbert

Neal Wolbert LawnSite Senior Member

Ditto on the Primo. You can't miss. Neal
  5. JBird

JBird LawnSite Member

I just got some Lesco Pro Trim, I've applied it the last three weeks. I'm not impressed. They tell me it takes time to regulate the growth. I am starting to see some improvement. But I just don't know if it's worth the cost. If this stuff kicks in it'll save me a bunch of time.
  6. kipcom

kipcom LawnSite Senior Member
    from indiana

1% 2-4-D per gallon of H2O..2-4-d was originally developed for use on golf courses as a growth inhibitor for the turf.
  7. Tadams

Tadams LawnSite Senior Member

kipcom, I thought that 2,4-D was a broadlef weed killer. We use it to spray for weeds in our yards and MSMA to kill the cool season grasses in the bermuda and zoysia. It may be different on the grasses that you have in you area though. I have heard of using a low % of glyphosate ( round-up) as a PGR but I am a little unsure if I would do it. I use a PGR on a steep bank at a commercial property and it works good. I cant remember the name of it off the top of my head. If you use on, the only thing that I would verify is that it didn't stain the headstones.
  8. kipcom

kipcom LawnSite Senior Member
    from indiana

Ummmm....round-up is mostly 2-4-D..but I would not use it as a turf paralizer...RU is non-selective in most cases. 2-4-D alone is selective.
  9. SodKing

SodKing LawnSite Bronze Member

Ummmm GO BACK TO SCHOOL!!!! Read the label. Round up is Glyphosate only.
  10. GreenUtah

GreenUtah LawnSite Senior Member
    from SLC, UT

type of grass can present a couple of issues with growth regulators. Discoloration along the borders where you sprayed can be chief among them. on primarily bluegrass/rye turfs we sprayed quite a few far flung facilities to keep them to a biweekly or longer to reduce travel time and mixed with an iron chelate to hide what we were doing. Best to test and follow the label very closely for your application. By the way, iron would be a very tricky thing to use around the headstones, leaving you open to rust stains on any cement bases or monument markers.