1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Cemetary work

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by MUDFLAP, Sep 14, 2007.

MUDFLAP LawnSite Member

Anybody here mow them ? The one im looking at is a little over 5 acres, and 413 headstones (sounds like a lot of weed wakin ) any advice on pricing this would be much appreciated, will be a good plow job to have if we get any snow this year, so i would like to land it, and i know at least 2 others are bidding against me.
  2. skullz

skullz LawnSite Member

at least a 1$ a stone to weed wack and blow
  3. Americal Vet

Americal Vet LawnSite Senior Member

Be prepared to go through a butt load of trimmer string.
  4. lifetree

lifetree LawnSite Fanatic

Alot of cemetaries have rules to the effect that headstones must be of the variety that lay flat on the gorund ... this makes it easier to mow and take care of the turf !!
  5. grassmanvt

grassmanvt LawnSite Senior Member

Heres a little time comparison for you. One cemetery we do is about 3 acres (no stone count), Depending on the amount of trimming we do on a particular week, its between 1.75 to 2.25 hrs with two guys. Lots of people don't do cemetery's, they really aren't all that bad.
  6. joshco84

joshco84 LawnSite Senior Member

yeah i went and bid one recently, for a guy that i work with. he is on the township board that maintains it. he told me it took there guy a full day or longer to mow it, and at least 20 hours to weedeat. I figured for me and one guy weedeating about 4 hours mowing, and about the same or less weedeating. So i bid it at 500 a time. they were happy with this as it was right on with what they were expecting. then some guy came in and bid it at 3000 a year with weed control. i personally could not do just my labor for that. it is rediculous. It was about 5 acres by the way.
  7. meets1

meets1 LawnSite Gold Member

I do one as well. First it took 3 52' Z's about 4 hours to mow. Now were down to 1 hour with all 3 machines. It started with 2 guys trimming - about 5 hours total - now with 4 guys - 30 minutes were done!

We learned fast how to weave in and out of stones and not backing ourselves into a corner with a Z. The trim crew will get that!

THEGOLDPRO LawnSite Fanatic

i mow one and absolutely hate it, by far the worst account i have, not to mention its a really old cemetary so most the stones are from the 1800's takes two of us 3 hours or so to mow, and its the worst 3 hours of my week.
  9. robbo521

robbo521 LawnSite Senior Member

i do 3 and love it.2 of them let me spray around the markers so its nice to just go wild and cut.i have sprayed about 1ft around them so its easy.the best thing about it is they even get the spray.what will you be useing?in one of mine you do good to get a 48'' in some spots.
  10. joshco84

joshco84 LawnSite Senior Member

yeah the one i bid said they use a 52 because that is all that will fit. i drove around it for about an hour and couldnt find a spot that would only fit a 52 or smaller.?! guess it just depends on whose doin it.