Cemetary

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by WoodBrothersLC, Jun 14, 2004.

1. WoodBrothersLC

WoodBrothersLC LawnSite Senior Member

My brother and I are in charge of mowing a 2 acre cemetary. This will be our 4th year cutting the cemetary. Before we cut it my Dad or some of the workers from his remodeling company would cut it. We now take care of it and it gets cut every 5-6 days, and is only needed to be weedeated every other mowing which is a task in itself. My Dad had always charged around $260, and then when we got it we moved it to $285. It takes us 2.5-3 hours to mow the thing with our "48 Encore and our "50 JD285 Tractor. With weedeating it adds up to about 4.5 hours. We're happy to be getting this kind of money for the job, but wonder if we are charging enough. We haven't recieved any complaints on pricing or quality of work that we've done, so I don't think raising the price would be a problem. Sorry for the long thread, and please share your input.

Mark and Joe Wood
    Wood Brothers Lawn Care

2. WoodBrothersLC

We have also told the board that we'll be raising prices soon, and we don't have anyone competing against us for the job. I think raising it to $300-305 would be a legitimate price because if we brought it up to much they might start to look for some other options, and this is our biggest account and it helps us get customers, so we don't want to lose it.

3. WoodBrothersLC

We have also told the board that we'll be raising prices soon, and we don't have anyone competing against us for the job. I think raising it to $300-305 would be a legitimate price because if we brought it up to much they might start to look for some other options, and this is our biggest account and it helps us get customers, so we don't want to lose it.

4. Jon99

Jon99 LawnSite Senior Member

One of the cemeteries I do, we mowed and trimmed it, took me and another guy 3 hours and I get $300/mowing... On the other hand, I mow another one that takes us about 2 hours, I only get $130...

I have found that cemeteries are the toughest thing to bid on...

5. GTLC

GTLC LawnSite Senior Member

Well, I think you are definitely are charging way too low...I did my first bid on 2 cemetaries earlier this year and my bid was still way low, luckily I lost to the low bidder-some hobo on a tractor. I personally knew the head of the cemetary board well from the fire department and he said that cemetaries can't bear much $$$ for lawn maintenance, especially since all of the "customers" are buried there.

6. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 LawnSite Platinum Member

If you average $30 / man hour, which I believe is on the cheap end, but I personally do have some accounts at that rate, that's $60 / hour for you and your brother. 4.5 hours with the trimming would be $270. Do you get the same whether you trim or not?

7. WoodBrothersLC

Yes, they pay the same rate for each mowing assuming that we weedeat every other time.

8. WoodBrothersLC

Well we got the board of the cemetary to agree with $300 so from now on we get a hefty $300