cemetarys

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by slowleak, Apr 22, 2003.

1. slowleak

slowleak LawnSite Member
    from 63055

i have the opertunity to bid a property of last resort. 41/2 acres 50 headstones. so a cut and trim. an old,old man called me last night .he said the last guy that did it for 75$every two wks. had hurt his back:p yeah. i've got that 60 in gravely so would make fast work of it. my question.are these type propertys good for referal's? or would the response be sort of lifeless. ? thanks kevin p.s. this is a real bid.

2. A1 Lawn@Landscapes

A1 Lawn@Landscapes LawnSite Member

Cemetaries are not the easiest work around for sure. Depressing at times. Get ready for complaints though. It is just like a condo where you have many customers to please at once. Bid it high. It always turns out to be more work than it appears.

3. IBGreen

IBGreen LawnSite Senior Member

$75:dizzy: That old man had better be ready to fork up some dough. $75 won't get me on a cemetary, thats a lot of trimming.

4. Gravely_Man

Gravely_Man LawnSite Silver Member

That is a lot of trimming work not just around the headstones but also around the fence. I would talk with Runner has he has done some cemeteries as I remember.

Gravely_Man

5. DanG

DanG LawnSite Member

4 1/2 acres for $75.00?
    I wouldn't even touch it if it was just a big flat lawn for that low of amount.

I just gave up two of mine because they didn't want to pay the going rate.(And i'm one of the cheapest around here too)

Dan

6. Doc Pete

Doc Pete LawnSite Gold Member

No mower will make fast work in a Cemetery. The problem is the graves are always sinking and/or uneven. It's a bumpy ride and you have to mow slower than normal. It's nothing like a smooth homeowner lawn. The 50 stones is nothing to trim. Give yourself 10 seconds a stones for insurance, so you've got about 15 minutes for trimming them. However, that 4.5 acres. That's about at least $60/acre.
    Pete

7. slowleak

slowleak LawnSite Member
    from 63055

i have come to the conclusion that 300 every 2 wks is a good price for all the un-dead relatives driving by(its right on the main road) and criticing it.this bid will probably result in the demise of ole' bob. but ......whatever. theres plenty of space left::p thanks guys for all your input. kevin

8. slowleak

slowleak LawnSite Member
    from 63055

well i talked to the main"trustie". told him about myself,my business,my GOD did he freak when i told him 295.00.i think their living in the 70's .he came back with 100.00.!! i told him i might consider weedeating his head-stones:D for that price ......oh well. said how could a bunch of old poor people on medicad afford such a fee. i bet everyone of them trustees are loaded.

9. Doc Pete

Doc Pete LawnSite Gold Member

They may come around when they get other estimates. Also, as in my church there are less and less volunters. It's only a matter of time until they won't be able to session, deacon or trustee members to mow the lawn............

10. Talk to cantoo about this if i remember correctly he has one of 2.
    As for old people, don`t get me started, we don`t have scrubs around here we have these old farts that will bid commercial properties at under $20 hr:rolleyes: :angry: they just do it for something to do , I don`t even think they have insurence, a scrub is one thing he`s aleast tryin to support himself in some way but these old guys do it because they want some thing to do. how are people who arn`t collecting a pension supposed to make any money?