cemeteries for a township

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by juststarting023, Feb 1, 2003.

1. juststarting023

juststarting023 LawnSite Member

ok guys this is it, i have 2 township trustees who have been after me about doing 2 cemeteries for them 1 is 3 acres 95% uprights and the other 2 acres 100% uprights dont have to worry about anything else just mowing and trimming pretty flat but all those headstones man is this alot of trimming also take care of leaves in fall.i've never done anything like this before and i only have 1 employee other than myself but i can get a nephew who wants to help me this year but did'nt know if i would have enough work for him part time. anybody know how to bid anything like this? this is the township i live in and its not very big . i guess trying to figure out how much time this will take is my big question. do any of you guys cut cemeteries if so i would like to hear from you and if you do not i would like to hear your input.i know alot of you say stay away from them but i think this could be very profitable for me and fill the rest of my time i had open and and probably go full time this year and to hell with the man see ya i'm otta here i got a cool job!!!!!

:dizzy: :confused: thanks guys

2. Doc Pete

Doc Pete LawnSite Gold Member

I do two churches. First, it's impossible to get an accurate idea without mowing. I'd cut it once at "half" whatever your normal rate is just to find a fair price. However, you may want to "estimate", and I use the term loosely, about $175/$200 per acre, for mowing, trimming and blowing the walks. Last, cemetaries are interesting because there is a lot of room for "cutting" your time and improving you profit margin. I never use a 21" trim mower anywhere, but run my weed wacker at about a 22" diameter circle, and use thin line to keep the speed up. FYI, I've been doing the one cemetary for 10 years and the other for 20.

3. 1grnlwn

1grnlwn LawnSite Bronze Member

I bid one once. I picked an average representitive area and mowed a 100 x 100' area, trimmed, and blowed. Kept times for each. Then divide the grave area by 10,000. Came out to $1000 a mow. Sure glad I didn't get it.

Mark

4. Hawkeye5

Hawkeye5 LawnSite Senior Member

I worked at a National Cemetery as a groundskeeper for a while. There are at least two threads on the subject so I suggest you do a search and review those threads, there is some very good information. Trimming the stones is very time consuming.

5. PRO PROPERTY CARE

PRO PROPERTY CARE LawnSite Member

funny too see this question.
    I have and estimate sitting on my desk for two cemetaries.
    I am fighting with the price. They look very time consuming.
    All that trimming.
    these ones are not huge cemetaries.
    Im new at it also, so makes it that much harder.
    Best i could do , was count the rows , tried too figure out how much time per row and multiplied it times the rows, and added a bit for difficulty.
    Once im satisfied with the price ill fax it off and see what happens.
    If i get it, then the first cut will tell the tale.... too be pissed off or not too be pissed off at how i priced it....lol
    :confused:

6. lsylvain

lsylvain LawnSite Senior Member

I've never done acemetary so I'm probably wrong, but I would think that as far as trimming goes I would just charge it as if each row of stones was 1 long wall. If you started on one side and went straight up the faces of the stone and and trimmed the front of each stone and one side, then came back and did the back sides and the other side, that would be faster than doing each stone individually. Plus I would think after about 100 stones you would start to get a little dissy. lol

heck, just go and pretend to mow/trim a good portion off it, say an acre and multiply it out and see where you stand.

I agree with Switchless@aol.com give them a low ball price to do it one time.

7. Doc Pete

Here's a secret which may help for trimming and estimating. For the row's of stones, you should be able trim them at a slow walking pace once you get the hang of it. So, walk the rows slow and add up your time. OH, and here's how to trim them. As you walk you trim the edge of the stone and side of the stone you are walking toward. Make it all one motion. When you are done with one side, walk to the end of the row, turn around and walk down the other and trim. When you are done, you'll have trimmed all sides of the stones and the middle of each space, too. Don't try to trim the middle and "each side" of the stones in one sweep. Here's a diagram, smoothness is the key....

graves.jpg

8. Doc Pete

Damn, you'll do OK:D.... Look at my post, and the diagram is just what you are saying.......
    Pete

9. 1grnlwn

1grnlwn LawnSite Bronze Member

That was also my approach to trimming.

10. Doc Pete

This is also where I went through 5 weed wackers before I found the right one "for the job". Obviously, light weight, vibration and correct length are important. I settled on the Redmax BT225.......
    Just like the right mower, the right wacker made a big difference......