Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by DixieChopper88, Feb 6, 2007.

1. DixieChopper88

DixieChopper88 LawnSite Member

I'm planning on bidding on a church which includes a very small cemetery. The question i have is you lawn companies out there that mowed cemeteries in the 2006 season; are you going to try to retain those for the 2007 season or are they too much trouble?
  2. drumbo

drumbo LawnSite Senior Member

Depends on the condition of the cemetary....
    Do they want it kept up nice or just kept under control?
    Are all the headstones visible or are some flat?
    Is it hilly or smooth?

I do a few cemetaries and one is an historic black cemetary. Back in the day, most couldn't afford decent grave markers/headstones. So, we tend to find a few every time we mow...we use crappy blades on that job as they only have enough in their budget to get it cut a few times per season.

Hope this helps....or at least gives you a bump to the top...
  3. FinerCutslawnCare

FinerCutslawnCare LawnSite Bronze Member

My past experciance with cemetaries was h***. Now i am not saying that all experiances with them will be the same as mine but i has one and it took us 13 hours to mow and 8 hours to trim. Most of the time cemetary accounts won't be your big paying customer, but it is good advertisement if you really think about it!
  4. corey1977

corey1977 LawnSite Senior Member
    from maine

I won the bid on a 20 acre cemetery this year this is the first one I have done on my own been mowing cemeteries for a city for 6 years with walker mowers
  5. Loy's Home Services  LLC

Loy's Home Services LLC LawnSite Member

OH WOW, I hope you have about 10 employees to help you.
  6. davemanou812

davemanou812 LawnSite Member
    from Florida

we do a pretty large cemetary along with acreage takes 3 of us about 8 hours during the summer, just use old blades and watch out for backing into headstones when turning especially when using a Z. the best thing about mowing in a cemetary is that there are no complaints from the customers!
  7. deereman

deereman LawnSite Senior Member
    from USA

Well we have all types of propertys that we maintain from a hand full of postage size to full blown out fields that we all love to get our hands on! We also have cemeterys that we maintane and I dont mind them at all IF they pay what the job is worth. I dont care if it takes 12 hours straight, as long as it comes out in the end I will keep doing them! In fact all year long we STRICKLY keep track of all hours worked and that goes for all jobs, but I really watch the total hours spent on a cemetery for the year and then I figure income divide that into the hours and I always like what I see. So there for I like mowing cemeterys! and yes I will keep doing them !!
  8. corey1977

corey1977 LawnSite Senior Member
    from maine

hay loys there are not that many head stones pritty much flat open mowing I have knocked over a few stones at work over the years mostly small ones a coupe of guys can pick a cubic foot of granite weights 180 pounds
  9. B. L. Landscaping

B. L. Landscaping LawnSite Member

we do a couple and they are not that bad to do except for one that is half flat and half on a hill that is about a sixty degree angle!
  10. The Captain

The Captain LawnSite Senior Member

I do two cemeterys. One takes me 10 hours and the other 6 hours solo.

They're not bad once you get your pattern established. You know which stones you can go between and which you go around or go over if they're flat. Just don't ever skip a week. That will kill you. You'll fight the rest of the season trying to get caught up.

Those 16 hours, out in the open, make me more than my 40 hour 9 to 5 job ever did. You gotta love it.