Cemetery,bag Or Not?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by NORTHMAN, Apr 7, 2007.

1. NORTHMAN

NORTHMAN LawnSite Senior Member
    from NJ

I'll be cutting a cemetery this year,I've always bagged my lawns but the cemetery is large enough for me to wonder if bagging is the right thing to do?If I don't bag,what about the discharge getting all over the headstones?Any other suggestions?

2. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

We have 4 and the is the very last thing I would ever do

3. greengiant9963

greengiant9963 LawnSite Senior Member

The only other option I think you have is a mulch kit..which usually doesn't work well in Northern lush grass. Have used them with not so great results. Also a rear discharge mower.

4. ncls

ncls LawnSite Senior Member

we mow a townships 2 cemetaries. Never bagged them. We blew the clippings off the stomes one time in early spring. We kept cutting them a 2" in the spring, and 2.5" in the summer. Only trim around the stones every other week. Every 3 weeks in the summer. When you do trim, almost burn it out. Trim it real low. Saves a ton of time.

5. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

so does Roundup

6. corey1977

corey1977 LawnSite Senior Member
    from maine

bagging takes to long I think if you can mulch the clippings I work for a city cemetery dept with walkers to it takes for every running to the dump pile every other pass to dump plus time it takes to haul it all off

7. DaughtryLC

DaughtryLC LawnSite Senior Member

I can use roundup as long as it does not exceed 6", make sure you stay on top of the mowing and use a discharge shoot and you will not have it all over the headstones.

8. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping LawnSite Gold Member

And how many times of smashing the back end of the bagger or the side tube on the grave stones will it take till you need a new one?....even if you are careful, it's bound to happen

9. jpp

jpp LawnSite Silver Member

I would not bag and use your chute or you will need to use your blowers on the headstones

jp

10. DaughtryLC

DaughtryLC LawnSite Senior Member

Do not use the chute??? Have you ever seen what grass stains do to a headstone?? USE the chute it will keep the grass low to the ground AND go slow!!!!!!!