Cemetery entrance - open to ideas

Discussion in 'Landscape Lighting' started by NightLightingFX, Aug 12, 2008.

1. NightLightingFX

NightLightingFX LawnSite Senior Member

I want to take a very basic approach to lighting this monument entrance. We want to have minimal maintenace issues - I really can't have any up lights in the grass for maintenace reasons. What I plan on doing is up lighting the 2 aspens and taking 4 mini wall washers (Uniques' Stellar) put them on a 6" extension and mount them above and aiming down on "City View Cemetery." What other ideas / approaches / input do you guys have?
    ~Ned

cemetery.JPG

2. NightLightingFX

I forgot to mention, I plan on drilling 4 holes through the rock some where between the text and the top of the retaining wall. Then mounting the wall washers with a 6" extension so the fixture won't be too close retaining wall and the light won't be too hot. I sure hope this isn't the same kind of REAL OLD rock they have in Canada, I may never be able to drill through it.
    ~Ned

3. NightLightingFX

It would be nice to some how wall wash the whole retaining wall. But with grass all around it I really can't use a wall washer in the ground. I could possibly use a well light with a grate and up light the retaining wall but I don't think that would look very good.
    ~Ned

4. INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting LawnSite Platinum Member

I get your idea Ned but I think you will need more then a 6" extension on those fixtures to get enough spread. I would suggest 16" to 24" would be better to be able to read the signage without long shadows.

Using this technique you could opt for a BK SignStar or similar series of fixture, desiged for the job and then put linear spread lenses in front of the lamps.

Of course the easiest way would be 4 CopperMoon CM890 Floods mounted 36" out from the wall. You would just need to train the grass cutting crew that they were there. They stand up to whippersnippers pretty well!

Best of luck

5. NightLightingFX

James, thanks for the input. I would rather light from the ground up using a wall washer. However, this is a municipal ran cemetery. We can't afford to have maintenace problems. This project needs to be very damage proof. Unless something can be ran over by a riding lawnmower. I don't think we use it in the ground.
    ~Ned

6. Lite4

Lite4 LawnSite Gold Member

Ned, whatever you do you need to make sure it looks "spooky". Maybe some very close grazing under those walls.

7. klkanders

klkanders LawnSite Senior Member
    from Midwest

Ned, Does this cemetery do much business at night? A drive by window?
    You know why they put fences around them don't you? Because people are just dying to get in. :)
    Seriously a combination of yours and James ideas sounds good. It looks to me like that spruce is too close and is and will continue to be a maintenance headache. I would get it removed. Take Care!
    ps..... How are u going to get referrals from these deadbeats! haha :)

Keith

8. The Lighting Geek

The Lighting Geek LawnSite Senior Member

i would use apollo star with an infinity ring. The ring keeps the grass away from the grate and the brass grate can handle the abuse of equipment. anything sticking out from the wall is asking to be broken off.

9. Chris J

Chris J LawnSite Silver Member

I was thinking the same thing. More maintenance issues are going to exist with the lights sticking out of the wall, especially if their sticking out 16-24". The riding lawn mower is going to be getting as close to the structure as he can, so I would go with the apollo star w/infinity ring like Tommy suggested.

10. Pro-Scapes

Pro-Scapes LawnSite Platinum Member

The best thing to do here in my opinion is install a seasonal bed and mount the lights inside.

Any turf mounted lights will be a maint issue with city crews