1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Cemetery Mowing

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Dr.Greenthumb, Feb 12, 2006.

1. Dr.Greenthumb

Dr.Greenthumb LawnSite Member

I have an opportunity to bid on a 25 Acre cemetery. Just wondering if anyone has mowed a cemetery. If so how much should I charge, and what problems might I run into?
  2. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

ALOT of trimming
  3. Dr.Greenthumb

Thats an understatement! :)
  4. chuck bow

chuck bow LawnSite Senior Member

also add a bunch on for tearing euipment up as most cementeries are rougher than h#$% AND for having to run slow ... no flat out mowing . I mowed one a few years back and will never ever will mow one again !!
  5. Dr.Greenthumb

Thanks for the insight. It is greatly appreciated
  6. dcondon

dcondon LawnSite Silver Member

NO WAY would we ever bid on a cemetary, I know what the local LCO goes through every year.:dizzy:
  7. QualityLawnCare4u

QualityLawnCare4u LawnSite Gold Member

Wow, been a lot of cemetary questions last few days. To answer your question though use the search feature at the top of the page and get ready for hours of education on them. Most folks who have done them said they would not touch them again. I would bid no less than a 100, yes a 100 per acre for them and would not care if I got them or not. I live in a bad area and I still dont want any, will take any residentual yard of them. If you do bid it dont sell yourself short, they are worth every penny you get for them. Also dont let them pull that every 2 weeks crap, you do it every week or walk from it. Whatever time you figured it will take you add at least 50% more to it because it wont be enough.
  8. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

You know, I see a lot of these "What should I bid" questions here. To be honest, if a person does not know how to bid a specific job without asking, he probably has no business bidding it at all.
    I am not picking on you at all, just using this post as an example. Look, you are there and can see the project first hand. None of the rest of us have that ability. Anytime someone is bidding a mowing job, assuming that person is already in the business, shouldn't they know enough about what is involved to turn out a competitive bid? If not, then that person is probably in over there head.
    Again, I am not picking on you personally. This is something I have had strong feelings about for a long time. As you build up your business, you will be able to feel confident tackling these larger bids. Mowing is mowing. Bids are just about estimating time and materials, and the bidder better know how to estimate that himself, for any type of job he wants to tackle.
  9. Gatewayuser

Gatewayuser LawnSite Bronze Member

$1625.00 per week, like the others said don't let them make you mow every other week or you will be sorry you let them. Good Luck!
  10. Dr.Greenthumb

You guys have been a great big help. thanks a bunch