1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

cemetery mowing

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by rvon99, Jul 19, 2007.

1. rvon99

rvon99 LawnSite Member

What kind of mower would be the best for mowing cemeterys?
  2. The Captain

The Captain LawnSite Senior Member

We use a 52" "Z" and a L.....O.....T of trimmer line. Deck width really depends on the typical spacing and type of the headstones. Don't buy a mower just for 1 job. Get one that works on the majority of your accounts. As to trimmers we have 2 Echo PAS-260 units with the bump heads.

Time consuming.....so don't under bid.
  3. AdamChrap

AdamChrap LawnSite Senior Member

48" Write Stander, Rear Discharge. I have never used a rear discharge from the but one thing is for sure if unless you mulch the grass you have to have rear discharge. Also whatever you think it will take for time, DOUBLE IT! I hate them!
  4. Espacesverts

Espacesverts LawnSite Member

52 inch and 48 ztr
  5. Lohse's Lawn Service

Lohse's Lawn Service LawnSite Member
    from US

We have one cemetery, out in the country, and it's probably about 1 1/2 - 2 acres. We have 2 ExMarks running and it takes about 35 minutes. Once, we had 3 Exmarks and it only took about 15-20 minutes. I couldn't help but laugh. We've killed all the grass along the fence line as well as around the head stones.

Your best bet would be a couple of regular riding mowers. Zero-turns will get the job done a lot quicker though.
  6. walker/redmax

walker/redmax LawnSite Senior Member

Obviously something zero turn and no side discharge. Like the Captain said deck size depends on the average space between headstones. I love my walker, It'll tear around those things like there is no tomorrow.:usflag:
  7. corey1977

corey1977 LawnSite Senior Member
    from maine

I run 50 inch in my 20 acre cemetery side discharge with shute up in the open areas down around stones
  8. S.W.T.1975

S.W.T.1975 LawnSite Member

As for the mower, I don't know. The above suggestions sounded good to me. But get a shindaiwa speed feed head for your trimmer!! You can load the line in 30 seconds.
  9. rvon99

rvon99 LawnSite Member

i already have a scag turf tiger 61" 29hp dfi but was wondering if there is something better
  10. robbo521

robbo521 LawnSite Senior Member

use my JD 48'' all day long on them.i have sprayed around the head stones about a 1ft and it is nice.