Cemetery work, What do you guys usually use

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by blair smock, Jul 12, 2004.

1. blair smock

blair smock LawnSite Member
    from OHIO

Hi guys, Well I got a bid for a local Cemetery yesterday and it will allow me to be able to add another Zero to my arsenal. I am currently using an Exmark 52” for my other accounts. What do you guys usually use? This makes 3 Cemeterys so far, 2 are really dated with the stones sort of close together. I was actually considering a Walker 34z for weaving in and out between the stones. Any comments or thoughts appreciated. Thanks! Blair

2. Luscious Lawns

Luscious Lawns LawnSite Member

We use Lazer Z 52" and 60" on the cemitary we service. This leaves a bit of weedeating but I feel it's more time eficient than weaving in and out with a smaller WB. We also us quite a bit of Round Up at the edges of the stones. I'm not sure what a Walker 34z is but if it is a rider version, I'd be weary of the front mount in confined places, as you are weaving the frount deck around, the rear is also weaving around, possibly contacting stonework. I prefer the mid-mount for very tight places.

Allen

3. economiclawncare

economiclawncare LawnSite Member

yeah those rear wheels will get in your way if they are the ones that are turning. I have one and messed up some stuff b.c you will forget about the back wheels.

4. mdb landscaping

mdb landscaping LawnSite Silver Member

we used 3 turf tigers and two 52 inch walkbehinds at the one we service. they recently had a local church member volunteer to do it, so we no longer serivice it thank god. cemetaries are a royal pain in the A**. i do agree the riders will leave more to trim, but its more productive.

5. aklandscape

aklandscape LawnSite Member

I mow 4 cemetaries and I've used a Ferris "48" walkbehind and I currently use a z500 toro "60" ztr. Mine are all in rows and not scattered too much, so I just run up and down the rows and weed wack the rest.

6. cantoo

cantoo LawnSite Silver Member

We just gave up our only one. We used our 48" Walker GHS and our MTD Pro Z midmount. Between them it left little trimming but still not worth the hassle.

7. DanG

DanG LawnSite Member

I use Toro Z- masters for the 2 i still do.
    But when i first started doing them I used hustlers 251k's because they were rear discharge and didn't throw grass clippings on the headstones.
    As i got older i upgraded to the newer style mowers that work better for the bulk of the work that i do.

Dan

8. TLC Darrin

TLC Darrin LawnSite Member

We do one about 1 mile from the house.. takes 2 hrs..(2 of us)...best part is u can start at 6am and won't wake anyone up!

9. Erickson Lawn Mowing

Erickson Lawn Mowing LawnSite Member

i use a 717 jd with 48 inch to mow around stones and then a 455 with 60" to take out the centers

10. r.eckley

r.eckley LawnSite Member

I do a fairly large cemetary & i mow around the stones with a 42" DIXON . Then mow centers with 60" lazer. Only have to trim
    about third or forth week . I dont use much roundup I think it looks better trimed. I will prob. try a GRAVELY 34z it will go between more stones than 42' Dixon. Any way you do it is a lot of work.