centepede

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by rizzos24, Oct 4, 2006.

1. rizzos24

rizzos24 LawnSite Member

can someone tell me a good fall/winterizing fertilizer that can be used on southern centepede that will give some similance of life during the winter in south mississippi? thanks a bunch

2. hmartin

hmartin LawnSite Senior Member

It is not a good idea to fertilize warm season grass after September. MSU only recommends two applications of fertilizer a year for your zone. These times are April and August. Frequent nitrogen applications are bad for centipede.
    You may want to think about overseeding your lawn for the winter season. I don't know of anyone who overseeds centipede, but it is a relatively common practice in bermuda.

3. ThreeWide

ThreeWide LawnSite Bronze Member

I would not recommend that on centipede.

4. olive123

olive123 LawnSite Senior Member

i like a 15-5-15 type product so that the roots get strenghted for the winter and still get a good greening from the N.

5. hmartin

hmartin LawnSite Senior Member

Alright, so overseeding is a bad idea.

Spraying it with iron should help it maintain color.

6. ThreeWide

ThreeWide LawnSite Bronze Member

Also avoid significant amounts of phosphorous with Centipede.

This time of year you should apply a preemergent with a potassium fertilizer such as 0-0-20. Do not use any type of Nitrogen fertilizer.

7. pesticide

pesticide LawnSite Member

if you have a clay type soil you should avoid any P fert at all. most clays are alkali and have enough on their own.

8. B&B

B&B LawnSite Member

Every sept. I apply 6lbs. 5-10-15 per 1000sq.ft. It feeds the root system over the winter & gives you a good greenup in early spring. I then apply 15-0-15.

9. YardPro

YardPro LawnSite Gold Member

DO NOT APPLY ANY NITROGEN after august......

the potash is what you want for overwintering, so use a product like 0-0-60.

there are numerous studies that show that increased nitrogen levels, ESPECIALLY in the fall contribute to winter kill.

10. NickN

NickN LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Alabama

Be careful with centipede.Centipede only requires 1 lb/1000 sq ft of Nitrogen PER YEAR.Over fertilizing can do alot damage to centipede grass.It's color is naturally light green,also.Centipede is known as the "lazy mans grass" for a reason.Slow growth rate(vertical),minimal fert requirements,and drought tolerant.
    Trying to get the centipede to look dark green like fescue or bermuda can actually result in damaging your turf.