Centipede Fertilizer?

Discussion in 'Fertilizer Application' started by shadowrlc, May 21, 2008.

1. shadowrlc

shadowrlc LawnSite Member

Just put in 12 pallets of Centipede and was wondering what's the best way to go with ferlilizer, if any? Also what do you southern guys use for a yearly fertilizer program for Centipede? Most people I ask say don't put any but existing Centipede just doesn't look green and healthy. Thanks!

2. RAlmaroad

RAlmaroad LawnSite Silver Member
    from SC

Where is upstate SC? For a while, water, water, water that grass like crazy. Keep checking one of the sods to make sure it is rooting. You should not be able to pull it up in a few weeks. After that--do not put anything on it like Scotts or the Home Depot stuff. In about 4-6 weeks repost this and let me know what's happening. Centipede is really picky. Greendoctor is probably the most knowledgable and may add something.
    Post back in a couple of months
    Roy

3. shadowrlc

Greenville/Spartanburg area -- I've got the homeowner watering every day for the next three weeks. I will be back on the job site Friday to make sure they are keeping it watered. There's also existing Centipede/weed turf adjacent to the sod that I need to try to get healthy. Any ideas on that?

4. RAlmaroad

RAlmaroad LawnSite Silver Member
    from SC

Hey: I live just over in Kingsport and go through there monthly or sometimes more. I be over around June 15 to take care of some lawns in Murrells Inlet and could stop by and check it for you. You'll need to get twenty-five (25) posts in order to PM other members. What equipment do you have? You will need to be licensed to spray commercially and that could be a problem. Is this your lawn? Anyway just water deeply--check to see if the roots on the sod are damp. In two weeks or so cut watering down to maybe two (2) a week but keep soil damp. The revitalizing the old sod is no problem--Do this: Go to the extension agent in Spartenburg County and tell them you need to test for centipede grass. They will tell you how if you've never done this before. This will take a couple of weeks and costs about $10. Super Important. The new sod is probably good enough to stand alone this year....Centipede will not stand the wrong fertilizer or the wrong TYPE of fertilizer more importantly.
    Get the soil test on the old sod--
    Also, use the search feature and read everything about "Centipede" There's a lot of info there. Some good and some just wrong.
    Roy

5. KACYDS

KACYDS LawnSite Senior Member

Here in New Orleans, we fertilize Centipede twice a year. Normally with a 15-5-10 slow release. Once in April, and again in August. This seems to a great job.

:jester::jester::jester:

6. greendoctor

greendoctor LawnSite Fanatic

Even new sod likes fertilizer. Question is what kind and how it is applied. I like to apply a biostimulant type material along with the correct fertilizer. My usual mix for centipede sod is 4 oz Essential Plus, 4 oz 13-0-45, and a micronutrient mix at the label rate. This is applied in 2 gallons per M. Under no circumstances do I broadcast granules on centipede. Most of the mass produced blends are made with potassium chloride, which can be toxic to centipede. There are some golf green type fertilizers made with potassium sulfate, but those have too much nitrogen for this use. If the existing centipede looks bad, that is probably because it was never fertilized or fertilized with the wrong material. If Roy comes around to look at that lawn, he can reccomend a program that will produce results. It is a little different from what is conventional. However, as an LCO, I expect any lawn I maintain to look better than convention.

7. shadowrlc

Thanks for the great posts! I am a licensed applicator and do have a 50 gallon sprayer on the truck. The existing turf that is supposed to be all centipede, to my knowledge, has never been fertilized. It also doesn't get watered unless it rains which last year, as we all know, wasn't much! I was planning to use some Trimec Southern or something labeled for Centipede to help with the weed problem. I will definately check into the liquid because I don't want to do anything to hurt the new sod but at the same time, I want it to stay healthy! This is not my personal yard but we do the maintenance so I'm on site weekly. The homeowner is watering with just cheap sprinklers right now but I'm gonna rig up a few Rainbird rotors for her to use to make sure she gets enough water down without having to run all day every day. I'll be out tomorow to finish the last two pallets I ordered so I will update then! Thanks again!

8. Elden

Elden LawnSite Member

greendoctor, please expound on the potassium chloride causeing damage to cent. I have never heard or read of that.

9. greendoctor

greendoctor LawnSite Fanatic

Chlorides build up in the soil, adding salt. Centipede grass is one of the most salt intolerant turfgrasses used in the landscape. You do not notice this on cool season turf blends, nor on bermuda or st augustine because those grasses are all salt tolerant.

10. Elden

Elden LawnSite Member

Ok. I knew that centipede was not very salt tolerant. I just didn't put the two together that Potassium Chloride was a salt. Thanks