Centipede Grass Problem

Discussion in 'Florida Lawn Care Forum' started by cantari, Aug 3, 2012.

1. cantari

cantari LawnSite Member

Hi all.

These pictures are of centipede grass that was sod laid down about 3 months ago. Not sure if these pictures are taken well enough, but there are certain spots in the lawn that are dying it seems. There has been a lot of rain lately so moisture is not a problem.

Could this be Thatch as the lawn clippings are not collected up? If so, what can be done to remedy this? If not thatch, any other ideas?

Thanks a lot

[​IMG]
    Lawn2 by Cantari, on Flickr

[​IMG]
    Lawn1 by Cantari, on Flickr

[​IMG]
    Lawn3 by Cantari, on Flickr

2. RussellB

RussellB LawnSite Fanatic

Was Bolster mixed in with the soil prior to installation? I'v had great success with this product. If not, what fertilizer was used?

3. cantari

cantari LawnSite Member

Bolster was not mixed into the soil.

The fertilizer used was a 32-0-4 a few months after it was laid down.

4. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

32-0-4 is certainly the wrong fertilizer for new sod. I strongly suggest to contact your county extention agent and find out which Professional landscape company he recommends you use, Fire the one you have because they don't have a clue if the are using 32-0-4 on new sod.

5. cantari

cantari LawnSite Member

Thanks for the info Ric

6. RussellB

I hope this was a homeowner mistake. Things like that happen but a landscaper certainly should know better.

7. cantari

cantari LawnSite Member

So do you think the fertilizer is the culprit? If so, just time to heal? Any chance thatch is involved as well?

8. RussellB

Looks like fert burn to me. I'd leave it alone and see what happens. It may come back strong but it will probably be next spring.

9. cantari

cantari LawnSite Member

Thanks for everything Russell

10. AllBrad

AllBrad LawnSite Member

spittlebugs?