Centipede Grass Problem

Discussion in 'Florida Lawn Care Forum' started by cantari, Aug 3, 2012.

1. cantari

cantari LawnSite Member

There are quite a bit of spittlebugs actually, they can do that kind of damage?

2. greendoctor

greendoctor LawnSite Fanatic

That is the look of grass burned by too much nitrogen from the wrong source, not enough potassium and not enough micronutrients. I am also guessing that this centipede is on alkaline soil as well. Centipede grass has very specific requirements unique to it. What you may use on other turf with little harm, can severely damage centipede. 32-0-4 is no where near an analysis that I would consider applying to any turf, much less centipede.

3. cantari

cantari LawnSite Member

One thing to note though, can nitrogen burn not show up for up to a month? The fertilizer was put on about a month before the burns were showing up.

At first you could see that the fertilizer made the grass a lot greener.

4. RAlmaroad

RAlmaroad LawnSite Silver Member
    from SC

Cantari ti italiano?
    As greendoctor said: "There's a whole world of differences between centipede and other turf," and as Ric mention that fertilize is not even close. Centipede will not do well on that much Nitrogen. For starters check your pH--I'll bet that it is way over 7.2. Has got to be down around 6. Then PM me (IF WANT TO) with what you have done, if you have irrigation, when you put that fertilize down, did you keep it moist (Not soggy) for two weeks after laying sod, and exactly when you put the sod in and if you'd used any pre-em or herbicides. Centipede would do best on a 1:2 ratio of Nitrogen to Potassium Nitrate. If you used any Muriate of Potash (chlorine based) potassium, but you didn't use that much thank goodness; then you will see a steady decline and but that generally happens a bit later. How did the sod look? Sometimes sod is left too long on the pallet and it suffers heat damage especially now.
    Lots and lots of variables to consider.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2012
  5. cantari

cantari LawnSite Member

Thanks for the info RAlmaroad, I am actually Portuguese.

I will try to PM you.

6. ArTurf

ArTurf LawnSite Gold Member
    Male, from Ark

Like GD & Ral said, centipede is a different animal than other warm season grasses. Ral will fill you in.
    BTW clippings are not thatch and clippings are beneficial if other factors are correct.