centipede grass question..

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Lamonicaslawnservice, May 29, 2008.

1. I have started off the season using lesco fert on centipede and st augustine grass. I used 0-0-7 atrazine and 20-0-20 atrazine and no pop. Some lawns greened up nice but most didnt. The one st augustine yard the front and sides are green and looking good but the back has weeds and looks still in the winter stages. Anyone have advice for me? Should I use a different fert? I like how scotts works. I need help so anyone that has advice ould be great. Thanks everyone

2. RAlmaroad

RAlmaroad LawnSite Silver Member
    from SC

Were are you in MB? I'm in Murrells Inlet. I'll be over about mid-June. I've got a serious hand injury( broke thumb a lacerated skin from setting iron posts ) but I could look at those and help you out. Warning of unconventional method. Greendoctor is the guru on centipede, but sounds like your lawns need a lot of micro nutrients especially if they are irrigated. Do you maintain complete lawn or just mow? I'll trade advise for a mow job. Roy

3. greendoctor

greendoctor LawnSite Fanatic

Centipede grass needs a fertilizer that is high micronutrient, high potassium, and has no chlorides. I think you ought to research my posts on the maintenance of centipede. The fertilizer I use on centipede is a custom blended liquid. I would rather put a gun in my mouth and pull the trigger before throwing granules based on potassium chloride on a client's lawn. If the lawn needs atrazine for weed control, I have no problems putting down 2 lb atrazine 90DF. That can be applied with the liquid fertilizer, along with Image to kill cool season grasses, broadleaves, and sedges. I also have the option to not apply herbicides to a lawn that does not need it. My fertilizer program for the warm season turf I maintain is to feed it regularly throughout the growing season with a fertilizer solution suited to the grass. I do not push or drive fertilizer spreaders over my lawns, it is all liquids. Before anyone says anything about urea, leaching, pollution, etc, I am applying no more than 1/2lb/M of nitrogen, no phosphorus unless there is a need and I am watering in each application. Watering in is not left to the homeowner or rain to do. Lawns not on an irrigation system are not candidates for my program at all unless they are under 1000 sq ft.