1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Centipede grass

Discussion in 'Organic Lawn Care' started by DeepGreenLawn, May 20, 2009.

1. DeepGreenLawn

DeepGreenLawn LawnSite Silver Member

Anyone have much experience with it? I know it is care free pretty much but that isn't what I am worried about...

I had a lady call the office today and we believe she has centipede grass invading her existing turf. From my past with the stuff it grows so thick that the only thing I can think to do is kill it and then tear it up to allow the next whatever to come in.

Any thoughts? I am planning on going out there tomorrow to take a look.

2. FOL

FOL LawnSite Member

Try maybe some vinegar. Im not sure if it penetrates down to the roots though due to Centipede roots systems are deeper than others. "I think". Try some out though and tell the customer what your doing and see what happens.

3. FOL

FOL LawnSite Member

Or just start digging up now, while you have the chance. The stuff can grow quick.

4. KACYDS

KACYDS LawnSite Senior Member

Deep,

What kind of grass does she have in the rest of the yard?

Centipede is very common here in New Orleans, My lawn is all Centipede. I love it. Doesnt get brown patch or chinch bugs, like St Aug.

If its thick and growing well, she might want to keep it.

5. DeepGreenLawn

DeepGreenLawn LawnSite Silver Member

I am sure she has bermuda, normally if it mixes with fescue it will be taken care of long before it sounds like it is at now, and from what I am told she is adimate about getting rid of it.

What I don't understand is she said she had talked with other companies and they refused to mess with it? Why do you think this might be?

6. KACYDS

KACYDS LawnSite Senior Member

I dont know why. If she has bermuda, you can spray MSMA and it will easily kill the Centipede, without hurting the bermuda. I don't know what MSMA will do to the Fescue, thou........