Centipede herbicide

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by fordnut, Mar 10, 2007.

1. fordnut

fordnut LawnSite Member

I have centipede in my yard and I also have sandburs, what herbicide do you recommend? Yes, I'am licensed......thanks

2. ccash

ccash Banned

speedzone works pretty good

3. ccash

ccash Banned

wait till its actively growing and not in transition.

4. hmartin

hmartin LawnSite Senior Member

Use Atrazine/Simazine in early winter. Even if you killed them today, you might be left with stickers.

5. ccash

ccash Banned

yeah but as of now wait till the centepede is green then spray with speedzone

6. hmartin

hmartin LawnSite Senior Member

I ment to say late winter for the Atrazine. Pendimethalin will also prevent them.

7. RAlmaroad

RAlmaroad LawnSite Silver Member
    from SC

Atrazine is both a pre and post-emergent. It's best to apply it as a pre-emergent during late fall to halt the winter weeds. As a post-emergent, it will take care of growing weeds as common vetch, a winter weed--IF YOUR MISSED the late fall application--referring to southern lawns. TWO WEEKS AFTER GREEN UP you can use something for post-emergent. IMAGE FOR CENTIPEDE and ST.AUGUSTINE is a relatively new product contain Atrazine. It is cheap and available at Lowes in SC. It's not the RUP and does a good job on left over weeds. Regular IMAGE ($25/8000sq.ft) and available at Lowes does a good job on those Sandspurs (Yellow Nutsedge) for summer application. You've got to be careful with these grasses as they will not tolerate high dosages of anything. Centipede like 1/2 lb N plus K in Spring after greenup and again about July. If you get a good stand of grass, then weeds will be choked out. I'm just learning about these grasses, being from Tennesse where fescue is king. Some of the other guys that have been dealing with these grasses may help. So far after just a year--my lawn has improved 1000% with careful management of fertlizer and weed control. We use Southern Speedzone in Tennessee but I'm a little affraid of it on centipede until I can run a test on the dosage. Again, it is strange grass--don't like traffic but looks good.