centipede installation?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by the scaper, Mar 11, 2003.

1. the scaper

the scaper LawnSite Senior Member

hey guys, i have a customer with a older centipede lawn. some areas are thin, mossy, and shady. they want me to aerate & overseed. my only overseeding experience is with fescue (no problems). my understanding is that lime neutralizes the acidity in the soil, thus hindering moss growth. however, it's also my understanding that lime cannot be used in conjunction with centipede. whats the solution? i was considering the possibility of using seed as opposed to sod as a cost saving factor, even if i till and use sod, i still have the moss problem underneath. question #2 my local nursury says 8oz of seed covers 1200sqft, how do i spread 8oz of seed over 1200sqft? someone told me it can be mixed with sand and run through the spreader, my concern here is the consistancy of the mix. your input would be much appreciated. ~the scaper~ :)

2. Rhett

Rhett LawnSite Bronze Member

Gong this morning to look at a lawn that is just about in the same
    shape minus the moss. Never seeded centipeed. Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks

Rhett

3. greenman

greenman LawnSite Addict

I am not even sure if Centipede seed is available,only sod. For years, Zoysia seed was unavailable, only sod. Only in the last couple of years, zoysia seed has been available. The germination of this seed was almost next to impossible, it is now greatly improved. My suggestion for centipede (as well as st. augusitne), is to sod.

4. McNeal Lawn

McNeal Lawn LawnSite Member

5. the scaper

the scaper LawnSite Senior Member

thanks Mcneal, thats a great link. i also obtained some other info elsewhere, such as scraping the moss up manually prior to installation instead of using lime. thanks again! ~the scraper~ :dizzy:

6. BB36

BB36 LawnSite Member

First take a soil sample and have it analyzed by the state coop (free service for consumer, $10.00 for a lawn professional)).They will tell you what the soil requires ie. lime etc.. I've limed centipede grass before with no adverse side effects .I've over-seeded centipede lawns before.Seed when soil temperature is 70 degrees or (May)warmer.First you should know that centipede seed is very small and expensive.1 lb. cost about $40.00 (includes tax) and covers about 4000 sq. ft.One 1 lb. package fits in your hand.This contains about 400,000 seeds.I mix one package 1 lb with about 40 lbs of PLAY SAND , mix it in a large bucket or can etc., place mix in a spreader and broadcast evenly.Repeat until entire property is covered evenly.Water 3 x's day during the growing season (South Eastern North Carolina) so to keep seed moist until germination.If the seed dries out the seed will die.Takes about 21 days to germinate.Once it germinates go back to normal watering.Centipede grass is a very slow lawn to fully establish, but its worth it.
    Hope this helps.

7. TotalCareSolutions

TotalCareSolutions LawnSite Senior Member

'they want you to aerate and overseed'? are they aware of what is involved with the grass they have. Perhaps suggest that in your proffesional opinion they should sod. Talk them through it and let them make a educated decision. Some grass has been difficult for us to get started, are they gonna h2o 3x day? and guess who they blame for what 'they wanted'. Sell them a "better alternative".

If they dont go for it, you can still seed.