Centipede overseeding

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by RAlmaroad, Jan 16, 2007.

1. RAlmaroad

RAlmaroad LawnSite Silver Member
    from SC

I bought a place with a rather large yard that has been neglected for a number of years. It is full of all kinds of weeds and very little grass. I think I have the weeds under control with pre-emergece and treating them since the fall. I need to overseed the centipede. There are large naked places that need full seeding. I generally mix the seed with sand then use the spreader, cris-crossing the places that are naked. On the thin places--what would you recommend. I have a great watering system since I put in about 2000 feet of irrigation--Yes, that's right 2K of pipe. I know seed must be kept moist for at least two (2) weeks. I also spread the naked spots with spagnum peat to give it a little moisture holding principle. What else would you recommend. I did not use the dimension with the fertlizer as I think it would inhibit the seeding next May and will hit it with with a good starter fertlizer then. PS the yard in SC where it's hot, hot, hot. Thanks, Roy

2. Tadams

Tadams LawnSite Senior Member

I would think that it is too cold for centipede to germinate right now. Around here (N GA) centipede is the last to green up and the first to go dormant. It really likes the heat. Do you have any sod farms locally that carry centipede? If you do, you can see if they still have any. It will dormant but you can still put it down.

Centipede grows very slowly so it will take the seed a while to fill in- even if you plant it in the summer. If there isn't any sod available right now, I would recommend overseeding with some Rye grass right and then put down the sod or seed in the summer, when the rye dies out. That is what I would do here and I would think that it would work in your area also.

3. RAlmaroad

RAlmaroad LawnSite Silver Member
    from SC

Hey Todd: I think I put it in the post that I would be overseeding in May. I have put in some sod (St. Augustine) in the shaded areas last year and it is doing great. Probably just thinking too far ahead. Thanks, Roy

4. Tadams

Tadams LawnSite Senior Member

Sorry about that, I guess that I didn't catch that part. :confused:

5. mr.glenn

mr.glenn LawnSite Member

Here in N.C. I have had good luck planting centipede the 2nd week of April.I also use ironite on the soil since centi loves this. With the irrigation you will be in great shape in 1 season if you keep it damp. I covered a very large lot this pass year in one season due to the irrigation and a lot of afternoon thunderstorms. If you don't keep it wet you will be throwing away seed and money.