1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Centipede Questions

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Sowegadawg, Mar 21, 2005.

1. Sowegadawg

Sowegadawg LawnSite Member

Hey guys, I am new to this site, but it seems to be very helpful. Don't know how many of you have experience with centipede grass,but it is the majority of residential turf in south Ga. My question is that since centipede has a natural yellowish-green color, could I get away with 2 quick release nitrogen apps. with Fe and K throughout the growing season or would I need to apply 2 apps of a slow release N.
  2. lawnpro1

lawnpro1 LawnSite Member

Glad to see someone else from so. GA. I used to do 2 app. Of slow release. But, have switched a couple years ago to 1 App per year of 1 1/2 Pounds of N per Thousand Of slow release. I then go back in Aug. with a foliur App. of FE and insecticide. The spittle bugs have been so bad (not to Mention Chinch bugs and Fire ants) that I figure the Customer Is better off that way. They are more interested in Insect control in late summer than mowing more often. Be careful with cheap Fert. You get what you pay for. The Iron is probably Oxide which is as useless as tits on a boar hog. Thought I throw in Some So. GA. Theology. Where at in so. GA.? :blob3:
  3. ThreeWide

ThreeWide LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm just glad we have very little Centipede here in my part of Georgia.

Hard to make money in this business when you have a turf that only needs fertilizing once or twice per year at the most.
  4. Sowegadawg

Thanks for the info lawnpro1, I was curios as to what my options might be. Good to see another LCO from God's Country! I am currently living and working in Middle Ga., but will be moving to Albany soon, don't know much about the market there, do any work there?
  5. lawnpro1

lawnpro1 LawnSite Member

I live in Moultrie. Been in Bus. for 20 Years. We service Tifton, Sylvester, and of course Moultrie. I have a good friend In Albany and he is doing reel well. He has been doing it awhile and a very sharp guy. He concentrates on high end accounts. Why Albany? Are you planning on starting from scratch?
  6. Sowegadawg

We'll I am from just outside of Albany and I know alot of people there, also my brother is purchasing a lawn care business in the area, he needs some help and I can't wait to move back to south Ga. Hopefully we will be in business by May. I know Albany is a fast growing city hopefully we can pick up a few accounts. Is it easy to pick up new work in the moultrie area?
  7. Williams Services

Williams Services LawnSite Senior Member

I've done two 50/50 apps 16-4-8 on centipede. By 50/50, I mean that 50% is quick release, and the other half slow release. It's Lesco's Poly Plus SCU. It works well.