1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Centipede Renovation

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by firecapt13, Feb 12, 2007.

1. firecapt13

firecapt13 LawnSite Member
    from NC

I have a customer that had a few trees taken out in his yard. When the tree company droped the trees it left a few ruts in it. I was wondering if i could fill in ruts with dirt to level out yard and then seed over it. Will this work out or what else could I try
  2. Duekster

Duekster LawnSite Fanatic
    from DFW, TX

Cetipede will set out runners.
  3. RAlmaroad

RAlmaroad LawnSite Silver Member
    from SC

Lawrence: As Duekster said "Centipede will send out runners". If you want to fill the ruts with topsoil--that would be good. You could seed it with centipede in late May or when the temps stay 65 at night. Or you could buy a several pieces of sod when it becomes available usually in June and sod it, or you could get some from somewhere else in the yard and transplant it to the ruts. Several ways to go. Give it a little 19-0-10 fertlizer and water throughly 2/week.
    I know Apex well, Got a wonderful sailing buddy there.
  4. Focal Point Landscapes

Focal Point Landscapes LawnSite Senior Member

Depends onhow deep the ruts are - if 1-2 inches , just spread sand or dirt in the ruts (preferably dirt) . The grass will grow through it within a season. If that is too long for the homeowner to wait , you can wait until Lowe's or a garden center have sod in the spring and lay sod in the ruts - best to till before laying . If you want to seed , centipede is about $25 per pound . The ground temperature must be above 80 degrees before it will germinate. The seed is very small and many people mix it with sand then sow it. Keep sowed area moist for about three weeks - its a lot easier to sod. Having said all that , I would just top dress the ruts and let the grass fix itself . 15-0-15 is the fertilizer that we use for centipede around these parts ... Good Luck.