centipede safe?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by lakegastonla, Mar 10, 2001.

1. lakegastonla

lakegastonla LawnSite Senior Member

Are the pre-emergant and weed and feed products safe for centipede, as well?

2. HOMER

HOMER LawnSite Gold Member

Yes..........if you buy one for that type of grass. You need to read the label very carefully. There are some for bahai and centipede that cannot be used on Bermuda, there are some for Bermuda and Zoysia only. Buy the right one and apply it per the directions and you should be OK.

3. lakegastonla

lakegastonla LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks, homer!!!!! Cool graphic in your posts! How'd ya do that??

4. HOMER

HOMER LawnSite Gold Member

You.ll have to ask Kirby and Eric, I have no idea!

5. Dennis

Dennis LawnSite Member
    from Ga.

Atrazine is safe on Centipede. But not Burmuda

6. Hello:

This is Very True: Dennis said Atrazine is safe on Centipede. But not Burmuda

Poast used with Crop Oil is good later on in the year to use to control certain types of grasses in Centipede. Poast is also used to control grasses in flower beds, Poast in most cases does not hurt Woody Ornamentals so it can be sprayed to kill Bermuda Grass & won't hurt like Azaleas, Boxwoods & of course other Woody Type Ornamentals.

LOL, that was Centons ago & I am sure they have stuff a lot better now than Poast! But I used it Plenty of times & got excellent results!

I had a County Agent tell me one time that anything you can use safely on Bermuda & Zoysa types of grasses will probably do serious damage & possibly kill Centipede!

Always Read the Label First & do not Listen to or Believe me or Anybody Else when it comes to Applying Chemicals of any kind.

The label tells it all & Always Read the Label first!

7. I use Ronstar for pre-emerge. And keep the height up so as to avoid stress on delicate centi. Once you mow too low you will get more problems. It does recover well if given attention however.

Do Not use MSMA (weed hoe). It is too radical for general broadcast. However on a well established thick/healthy lawn you may be able to spot spray MSMA on crabgrass and get away without much damage. Test a spot and wait for damage report.

The good thang bout centi lawns is that they are much more forgiving due to there wider blade so it mixes well with the grassy weeds that MSMA controls. Also, mulch mows well. Eventually centi will crowd out weeds due to its crawling attributes. Keep the height up and you will do well.

For broadleaf control use Weed-Be-Gone or equivilent.

Centi is billed as a low maintanence grass. True once its well established and cut to proper hieght. Most srubs here cut it way too low. Then I show up and become the hero!

Any more info you need let me know. Southern lawns my specialtiy.

Aloha,

P.Y.S.