1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Centipede to Zoysia

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by Mac B., Apr 13, 2008.

1. Mac B.

Mac B. LawnSite Member

If I were to do this what is the correct and easiest way to go from centipede to zoysia? Would I have to kill off the centipede or would the zoysia choke it out? Also what variety should I use? I have been looking at plugs from Amazoy and Meyers plugs.

Thanks Mac
  2. Mac B.

Mac B. LawnSite Member

Has anyone ever done this before?

3. dave k

dave k LawnSite Bronze Member

I would not use plugs, they grow way to slowly and also from reading about all the horror stories about Amazoy I would stay clear of using that company, you can do to Turfgrass.com and do a search to see what I am talking about, also they maybe able to help you more on that site than here. Good luck
    I personally would kill off the centipede and than sod it. I have Emerald Zoysia but unless you want to invest in a reel I would use Meyers or Zeon.
  4. echo8287

echo8287 LawnSite Member
    from Ga

Zoysia will choke the crap out of Centipede in a cage match. Seriously I have some Centipede at my house and some of the Zoysia washed down a little pathway and in one season has choked the Centipede out of an area about 20x 20. I can't get the Zoysia to grow where I want it to.Grows everywhere I don't want it to. It's a very stubborn grass.David